VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been running some old DOS games and sometimes some of the screens come up corrupt (flickers and looks like someone sliced it into sections and stretched them down the screen). From the searches I've done, I think this is a VESA problem and it seems relatively common, but so far I haven't found a clearcut solution. Unfortunately, I don't have that much experience with Intel systems, so I have no idea how to fix this.

Recently I installed Descent 1.5. It works fine in the default low-res (no music though), but the mouse is unusable and it looks terrible. If I use hi-res (640x480), the intro screens, menus and game all work fine, but when I press the key for the map screen, I get a corrupted version of the game screen rather than the map. If I press the key again, it goes right back to the game, so it's not crashing, the screen is just messed up. The same thing happens if I press ESC to abort the game. The Quit prompt and main menu are all messed up (but still functional).

Following a suggestion in an old post here, I tried pressing Alt-Enter on the messed up display to minimize it to a window, the graphics are fine and when I restore it to fullscreen, they're still perfect and the map functions normally (as do the menus). However, the next time I enter the map screen, they'll be messed up again and I'll have to minimize/restore it to fix them. I tried the nolfb.com program mentioned in old posts, but it didn't help.

I had the same thing happen with Tomb Raider. The opening animations and FMVs worked fine, but when the game started it was messed up. I could hear my footsteps, but couldn't see anything. I didn't know about the minimize trick then, so I can't say if that would have fixed it (and I haven't had the ambition to re-install it). What did work was pressing F1 to switch between VGA/SVGA. I'm not sure which mode is the default, but switching to the other one worked perfectly.

Up to this point, I've been playing Descent with D1X, which looks great when it's working properly, but it's buggy as h*ll. I can only play for about 30 minutes before it starts slowing down while shooting, to the point that it becomes unplayable. Then I have to reboot. Also, the briefing screens don't work properly and it often goes off into limbo for several seconds when starting a level or restoring a saved game.

My system is as follows; Intel motherboard, P4 1.8Ghz CPU, 512MB RAM, GeForce4 MMX440 8X AGP 64MB graphics card, onboard sound (Soundblaster compatible), Windows 98SE, XFXForce 56.64 drivers (newers gave me problems).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Reply 1 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would seriously suggest trying 61.7x drivers. I know the latest 66.xx drivers have caused problems on some systems I've installed them on. (You could also try the beta drivers.) I'm not sure a GeForce4 is your best idea (although the MX 440 is actually a GeForce2), you might try a GeForce3, whose core reputedly has better VESA support (your mileage may vary). You might also try NOLFB.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 9, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would seriously suggest trying 61.7x drivers.

At one point I had 61.76 installed, but I had problems with the game Thief Gold. If you went underwater and tilted the view down, the display would go blank. The life indicators and such were still there, but the actual display was just a solid color. Even 56.64 isn't perfect. When you go into water and tilt the view down, the brightness and tint of the display changes, and changes back when you look level or up. I've played the same copy of Thief Gold on an older system with a 3DFX card and the brightness/tint did not change like that.

I know the latest 66.xx drivers have caused problems on some systems I've installed them on.

I've heard people say that the 66.xx drivers are the worst ones yet. Most people seem to think that after the early 50's, the drivers turned to crap.

(You could also try the beta drivers.)

I'd really rather not mess around with beta drivers.

I'm not sure a GeForce4 is your best idea (although the MX 440 is actually a GeForce2), you might try a GeForce3, whose core reputedly has better VESA support (your mileage may vary).

Switching video cards isn't really an option for me right now.

You might also try NOLFB.

I forgot to mention that I already tried that. It didn't do anything.

I don't understand why minimizing and then restoring the DOS window fixes the graphics. Or why the menus in Descent work fine when the game is first loaded, but once you start the game in 640x480 and then exit to the menus, they're messed up. If a mode works, it should work all the time, shouldn't it?

Reply 3 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could also get an ATi Radeon 8500 (or better) for good VESA compatibility. 😎
nVIDIA cards (except GF4) are also good. Don't get anything that comes with an "MX" part in its logo.

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try solvbe: http://sol.planet-d.net/solvbe.html
Descent loaded when I last tried it, don't know how playable it would be.

As to why minimizing and then maximizing a NTVDM fixes the graphics, when you put NTVDM into fullscreen it access your video hardware directly, when you minimize you go back to Windows. It's possible that minimizing/maximizing flushes the LFB (doubtfull since there's no LFB access under NT) or some such. It's hard to say without looking at the problem. I'll see if I can load up Descent and check it out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder how well the unofficial 3dfx patch for Descent 1 would work with dgvoodoo? I'm on a slow connection so I can't test it.

http://www.descent-network.com/cgi-bin/downlo … D1_3Dfx_Beta_01

Reply 7 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 3dfx patch looks pretty sweet with the Hires menus but unfortunately it crashes in-game.

Just got done testing Descent 1 v1.5 in DosBox.

640x480

Have to up the cycles to 103,000 but it seems playable. Probably not fast enough for hardcore playing with tons of ships and you may need to turn down the detail levels.

This is on an Athlon XP 2800.

If you don't have a problem playing in a lower res and you have enough CPU power then Descent plays fine under DosBox. Just make sure you patch the descent executable with DOS32 since the dynamic core in DosBox doesn't like the DOS4GW packaged with Descent.

Reply 8 of 9, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try solvbe: http://sol.planet-d.net/solvbe.html
Descent loaded when I last tried it, don't know how playable it would be.

That's for Windows NT/XP.

In any case, I have a "universal" VESA driver program that came with Tomv Raider. Didn't do anything.

In the FAQ for getting old games working on newer systems, the section on graphic problems suggested that if you got corrupted screens, you should try unirfrsh and vbeplus. unirfrsh does nothing. In fact, once I enter my monitor's parameters, testing each mode works fine, but when it returns to the menu I get the same corrupt graphics. In other words, I run it, everything is fine. I set the options, everything is fine, I tell it to calculate the refresh rates for each mode, everything is fine, I test a resolution, everything is fine, I go back to the menu, it's screwed up. I have to minimize/maximize to get the display back.

vbeplus is supposed to translate unsupported modes into something your monitor can handle. For example, if it can't support 320x200, it will select 640x400 and put the image in the upper left corner of the screen. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with an defaults and I have no idea what modes to tell it to override since it doesn't appear to any one particular resolution that gives it problems.

Have to up the cycles to 103,000 but it seems playable. Probably not fast enough for hardcore playing with tons of ships and you may need to turn down the detail levels.

In other words, it's only playable in the sense that it works, but not in any practical form of the word.

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seemed playable to me. It depends on what is playable to you. To some Quake 3 at 30fps is fine. To another 30fps is unplayable. I don't have a fps counter for Descent 1 under DosBox but I'd guestimate 15-20fps at most. Turn down some detail levels...mabye 20-25 at 640x480.

Sounds about right since I get about 13fps in Duke3D at 640x480 under DosBox and Descent seemed to be faster than that at that res.