VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by T-800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I was recommended this site by a fellow named "Stiletto". It was on retrogames.com (thanks Stiletto). Anyway, my questions are, how can I play TombRaider PC and Rayman PC on my computer under WindowsXP. This is my first post so go easy on me cause I don't know if this topic has been discussed (im assuming it has) but I would still like to know for myself. I practically filled out everything when I joined here so my systems specs should be available to you guys if you read this. I hope that helps in trying to help me to get these games to work. I really want to beat Rayman 1 and TombRaider 1 again. They were my fav DOS games back in the day. Thanks in advance.

"I'll be BACK"

Reply 1 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by T-800 ...how can I play TombRaider PC...

You should be able to play basic Tomb Raider (the first, I presume) straight out of the box. It won't be very pretty and you won't get the CD-music in the game, but it will work using XP's native SoundBlaster emulation.

If you use, VDMSound you will get better (and more consistent) audio quality than XP's emulation (SoundBlaster 16 vs XP's SoundBlaster Pro).

The best option is to use GliDOS from http://www.glidos.net/
(It has a support forum here as well).

That allows you to use modern 3D video cards to play an improved version of the 3dfx enhanced game. It also has support for the CD-music that is streamed from the CD. It's not free, but you can try the demo on for size.

Paul has enhanced GliDOS quite a bit and it now supports a group of games besides TR1.

...Rayman PC on my computer under WindowsXP.

Don't know about Rayman. I presume you're talking about the DOS version of the first game in the Rayman series (the game was re-released as a Windows version). Try configuring to run in silence. If that works, try running it using XP's built-in SB emulation (IRQ 5, DMA 1 {8-bit}, DMA 5 {16-bit}). After that try VDMSound on it (IRQ 7).

If nothing else works, the Windows version should.

Reply 2 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The guy named Stiletto is a moderator here. Heyya T-800. 😀

Nicht's pretty much said it all for Tomb Raider. Search the forums here if you're having trouble getting it going.

As for Rayman, I'm not sure if it's necessary, but Martin Kiewitz made a patch to get it running in IBM OS/2 Warp. Occasionally, the same problems a program has running in OS/2 are related to problems seen running the game in Windows 2000/XP. So if you've tried the DOS version using all of Nicht's suggestions, make a backup of the Rayman executable and then patch the main Rayman executable with Martin's patch, and try all of Nicht's suggestions again.
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-viewer?sh=1& … ches/rayfix.zip

Here's the readme from the unofficial patch:

---------------------------------------------------------------- RAYFIX v0.1á Fixes Rayman under O […]
Show full quote

----------------------------------------------------------------
RAYFIX v0.1á Fixes Rayman under OS/2
(c) Copyright by TLC^AiR ON-Line Software (Build #001 on 03/07/01)

This fix squashes the inhability of playing Rayman under OS/2. It works for "Rayman", "Rayman Fan-Edition" and "Rayman Gold".

I don't know exactly what the cause for the lockup is, but it has something to do with the CD-Extensions and the function "AudStat".

I tried several ways, now I nuked the function completly and it works.

😀)) don't ask me why. For successful operation, you will have to set several DOS-BOX Options.

My standard for DOS-BOX Games is:
DOS_HIGH = ON, DOS_UMB = ON, DPMI_DOS_API=ENABLED, DPMI_MEMORY_LIMIT=16, EMS_FRAME_LOCATION=NONE, HW_TIMER=ON, INT_DURING_IO=ON, VIDEO_RETRACE_EMULATION=OFF, XMS_MEMORY_LIMIT=2048

More information under http://www.os2world.com/games
Contact me under: martin@kiewitz.de or kiewitz@os2world.com

You may freely distribute this thingie, but copyright and files must *NOT* be modified.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Only try this as a last resort. It seems to completely take out a routine in the executable, so if it does make the game work, expect it to be buggy.

If anyone here (mods, admins) would like to try Rayman 1 (DOS, not Windows) on for size to make a VDMSound compatibility list listing, here's the demo:
ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/Demos/demoray.exe
Er, I think it's the DOS version. But it includes *.386 files?
[EDIT]The demo seems to be working fine on Windows XP.

And here's the latest patch (soundcard drivers). Not sure whether this would work with the demo:
ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/Sound/sndcard.exe

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

If anyone here (mods, admins) would like to try Rayman 1 (DOS, not Windows) on for size to make a VDMSound compatibility list listing, here's the demo:
Er, I think it's the DOS version. But it includes *.386 files?
[EDIT]The demo seems to be working fine on Windows XP.

Same here. I'm not getting any music, but that may be streamed from the CD. All sound effects were fine.

The demo (and presumably, the full game) is auto-configuring, so apparently there's no need to tinker with the IRQ's and DMA's.

Reply 4 of 6, by Tbf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the error when trying to launch rayman under windows xp is :

NTVDM processor has encountered an error

and the name of the window error is MSDOS 16 bits sub system

and btw, the little fix doesn't change anything

anyway, what is the name of the windows version of the game ? rayman forever ? rayman gold ?

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the rerelased version (that is, the jewel case version published by "Smart Saver") of Rayman, and it's really just the same old DOS version with a mostly useless Windows frontend. Those 386 files are not Windows drivers; examination with Quickview reveals that they are "HMI Detect Drivers for Gravis Ultrasound MAX".

A much more pressing problem is that the speed throttling doesn't seem to work correctly. I even tried running it on an old P166; some levels played at normal speed, while others seemed to be impossibly fast.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Jorpho I have the rerelased version (that is, the jewel case version published by "Smart Saver") of Rayman, and it's really just the same old DOS version with a mostly useless Windows frontend.

Not good. I guess "Rayman Gold" is the same way.