VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 22, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2021-05-23, 09:07:

i'm surprised that the battle.net edition for win95 hasn't been suggested; it has the add-on already built in, runs pretty solid in my experience and has the speed sensitivity issues fixed.

While the Battle.net version is a considerable upgrade in most aspects, there are a few minor reasons to use the DOS version instead:

• Battle.net version uses compressed music (DOS version uses CD Audio)
  • DOS version can alternatively use General MIDI, FM synth, AWE32, ESFM and such for music (relevant for purely nostalgic reasons)

But yeah, for an overall smoother experience, the Battle.net version is the way to go.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 21 of 22, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

fair points, would too have prefered to have MIDI as an option. as for the compressed tracks, i can't remember the quality loss to badly stick out last time i played this to be honest, and at least this should get rid of those typical little game pauses upon CD track changes.

Reply 22 of 22, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I couldn't let this go apparently because I was back trying to solve it today and might have cracked it this time - it does appear to be speed related. Previously I was using Setmul to turn off the L1 cache and that had the game playing at the correct speed (mouse scroll is too fast on fast machines) but that didn't help with the locking up when using a PS/2 mouse. I'm now using AT-SLOW to slow the game down and this appears to fix the crash too - saving the game works fine now.

Good old AT-SLOW has always worked well for me, I should have tried it sooner.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.