VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sometimes help with the system administration on an elementary school. They have a lot of games and other programs running in dos. Recently we migrated the higher end machines to XP and there's of course problem with dos applications.
The most annoying thing is that these games generally work on windows XP but not on all machines. Some machines will just display blank screen. And I have no idea why. For instance, we have some computers with LCDs (not sure about exact config...some p4 celeron, integrated graphics) where everything works just fine. Then there are a bit older machines (again celeron, somewhere around 1.2GHz & crt monitor) which will just display blank screen when you start fullscreen dos aplication. If you exit with ESC, it will return back to windows. And just few days ago I installed another machine, where any dos application will just hang the system (again blank screen...esc and alt-tab not responding). I temporarily solved the problem by installing dosbox and running in an emulation, but the computers are somewhat slow and there are some other issues (like keyboard mapping). Any ideas what could be wrong? Refresh rates? Bios options? All computers are XP SP2.

Reply 2 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the freezing problem:

Search in the c:\Windows or C:\winnt folder, within the files themselves for the text "ke386".

As for the fullscreen, black screen problem. What video modes do these programs use?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, no VDMSound (they don't need sound anyway in a classroom) just plain ol' xp cmd shell.

Dosfreak: what would these files be? Since I'm not there at the moment I searched on my machine and there are several files with 'ke386'...I'll try to get one on the apps Monday and see how it works on my machine and which video mode it uses...

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The files with ke386 in them in System32 or system32\drivers may freeze your DOS programs. If you have multiple ones just rename their extension and then reboot untiil you find which ones freeze your DOS programs.

As for the video issues read this thread, patch for WinXP/2000 monitor issues

The latest version with XP SP2 support is on the webpage on the last post in the thread.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally found the time to check the fix 🤣

Unfortunately vga.sys did not work 🙁. It was the same as before, black screen with cursor blinking in the top left corner. I'll attach one of the games here, I asked and they told me it was freeware. I think it uses 640x480 and it works quite slowly in dosbox. It also works fine on my computer nativly in XP so I really don't understand what could be the problem...

Attachments

• Filename
    TINKA.ZIP
    File size
    51.64 KiB
    Downloads
    375 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm. Borland's BGI. Very old. I get the following error message both under native XP NTVDM and DOSBox.

Napaka v grafiki: Invalid device driver file (EGAVGA.BGI)
Izvajanje programa ustavljeno

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 9 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Replaced EGAVGA.BGI with a different one (from a game) and I am still getting the same error message. 😕

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 10 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found out what the problem was and made a fix for the executable. BGI searching was set for C:\TP\BGI - Now it searches in the current directory. 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    TINKAFIX.ZIP
    File size
    53.57 KiB
    Downloads
    401 downloads
    File comment
    Fixed BGI error
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 11 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's even more strange...since I don't have C:\TP directory anywhere and the game is working fine on my system 🤣

I just checked the other non-working app (which is not free so I cannot post it here). Checking the executable it seems to be borland as well. But there are no *.bgi files in the directory, might be compiled in. Is there maybe newer version of Egavga.bgi available which might fix the problem??

Last edited by gulikoza on 2005-03-13, 16:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try creating a bogus C:\TP\BGI folder and copy all .bgi file there. Check to see if the game runs properly that way.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)