VOGONS

Common searches

Command.com

Topic actions

First post, by 11Dextro11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything on it, but everytime I try running this program it tells me "Improper version of COMMAND.COM"

I'm trying to install This old EZ-Cam program, the setup is ver. 5.81

If its not possible to run it, than so be it, if it is possible, I would appreciate the help very much.

system:
mobo: dont know
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
Ram: 512 mb
video card: Intel 82865G Graphics Controller
Sound Card: none
App: EZ-Setup 5.81
DosBox .63
I've read the readme.

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Detrox - It is not clear to me, if you get the error while installing EZ-Cam from the WinXP cmd.exe prompt, the WinXP command.com, or from the DOS-emulator dosbox.exe.

Please clarify.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmmm ... Sounds like that app is doing something nasty when it tries to detects its environment. DOSBox do not have a COMMAND.COM program, so unless someone takes an in-depth look at the application and figures out how to fool it into believing that COMMAND.COM exists and has the right version, there is not much that can be done. And trixing with the real COMMAND.COM in Windows is not an option I think.

Sorry 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

😳 You must be a master of assembler programming, Qbix 😀 Imagine - a complete command interpreter in 20 bytes 😮

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yes. well it's capable of everything the real command.com should be able of. (appart from the command line switches)

as it only contains an interface to our c++ code

(try debug command.com (in the debug version of dosbox))

You can even start a new shell from it (then you have to exit twice in order to get out of dosbox)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!