VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get this running for a bit now. I've gotten to the main menu before but it was completely random. I've got 64mb of ram, a dx4-100 (I specifically remember playing this on a 66 back in the day even if it is recommended to have a p90)

The first issue I had arose when I tried to install an awe64 over an sb16 due to some awful crackling and popping sounds from the sb16. This caused a ton of issues so I just put the sb16 back and called it a day.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Soundcard issue? I'm not sure. Error report posted here too.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm wondering what you use for memory management, memory in the xms and base memory.
many use himem and emm386 for memory management but qemm is great for 486 in general for dos gaming it is more efficient on lower spec systems.
a memory test would both tell of memory faults and freshen up the banks (flexing their ability).
also scandisk is a good idea.
As for the errors in your screenshot; it looks like a memory allocation issue.
Soundcards in ISA did have a memory issue called the memory hole and is usually catered for in system bios (on or off)
I would generally remove the sound card to see if that improves the situation launching games just to determine the cause.
Also, given your memory size as a last resort perhaps try launching your game in windows 95 as sometimes the kernel can support memory better.
GPU could be changed to an alternative brand as not all support all games. (most don't)

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-08-10, 18:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I'm dumb. Replaced dos4gw with the 2.01 version and it works fine. Noise crackling is still a really annoying issue in a lot of games. I think it's because I technically have 65mb of ram so dos4gw was having issues with that?

If anyone knows how to fix the awful cracking and beeping though that would be great. I tried using the sb16 mixerset and turning off all of the lines thinking there was some issue there.

I'll make a new post instead of continuing on an unrelated subforum.

Reply 4 of 5, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-08-11, 07:05:

Why not use the Windows version of Fallout ?

The DOS version has a lot of issues, on top of being incompatible with a lot of patches...

Because I can 🤣. Why does anyone do anything stupid like this with old dumpster machines.

I just like to tinker around with things that limit me.

Also because I used to play it on a 66 back and the day and wanted to relive those memories a bit. I got everything working though. I just ask questions before finding the solution myself.

Reply 5 of 5, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-08-11, 07:05:

Why not use the Windows version of Fallout ?

The DOS version has a lot of issues, on top of being incompatible with a lot of patches...

Not to say as much, but the windows version of Fo1 and 2 is in dire need of a better higher res patch that unlocks keyboard use for stuff like recording and reshade, and it isn't buggy with the scaling and cinematics.