VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Erdopeti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum, so please be patient 😀
I searched for answers in previous posts, but couldn't find any.

My problem is that I've got a 800 Mhz notebook (lcd monitor) with XP on it, and Ufo 1 and Ufo 2 Terror from the Deep do not run as well as I would like. They appear on the screen like the aspect ratio is totally wrong. It's like a rectangle, so the Earth in the game looks like an egg... 😢
I am used to games appearing in a smaller box on the screen, but this is too much of a problem! It's like a box of 10cm X 7cm.
For the version I have I did not need to run any emulators. I have 2 versions of X-com 2, one has the problems mentioned above, the other runs fine, but crashes sometimes without reason.

I am pretty desperate as these two UFO games are the ones I want to play with, but watching it like that is not enjoyable.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well as laptop in general have problems with displaying dosgames your only options are emulators wether you like it or not.
emulators make the display of the games more windows and laptop friendly

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by Erdopeti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the reply!

However, I don't understand a few things.
1. I tried to use dosbox, and with that I could get the egg-like globe, so as an emulator the dosbox did not work. Did you have another emulator in mind?

2. How come the other version of UFO 2 could run and be displayed properly without dosbox? Shame it crashes in certain missions.

Thank you again, don't let me be deprived of one of the best games ever. 😢

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. You may have to modify the dosbox.conf for your laptop display. I have never used DosBox with an LCD so I can't really help ya there. Either just play around with aspect and output modes or wait for a reply.

2. What other version? You'll have to be more precise. Is it a Windows ver?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by Erdopeti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is not a Win version, it only has a Hungarian language option instead of the English one. I found it on a CD of mine from back in the 90's, and it runs fine, but for some missions that are not underwater the game crashes. But the game is displayed as it should be.

I will try what you said, thanks again. 😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Erdopeti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really sorry, please don't be angry, I meant no harm, but it seems that I had downloaded the old version of DOSbox, and now I see that UFO does not run with this version very well. So I apologise for wasting your time, but this case taught me the lesson at least.
The game seems to run fine so far, although I only checked the display and the intro, they are excellently displayed.

Have a nice time, I really appreciate your help.

Erdopeti