VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Farfle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please help. I bought the battlechess collection a while back and I downloaded DOSbox in order to get it to work. All the games worked EXCEPT the Battle Chess Enhanced CD rom. This is the one that I want the most, so I beg anyone who has gotten this game to work, PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASE help! THANKS!

Reply 1 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We have POSTING GUIDELINES. You should read them.

Also, look at my signature. (hint, hint 😁 )

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 16, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe el_PuSHer are trying to explain that there are some rules to post. I think he speaks about the possibility of searching your solution through the forum, or maybe something about explaining what your problem is (exactly what is happening when you try to play Battlechess).

There are some words written about how to ask questions the smart way (I think that is the title), and some animations about how to speak in a forum... you should read that.... then post.

Reply 4 of 16, by Farfle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I am not sure where to find the posting guidlines, and I am sorry that I have not, but if I need to explain my problem, I can do that. When I type CD\CDCHESS, it brings me to C:\CDCHESS>. After that, I type it again and it looks like it is getting ready to launch the program, but the screen is blank. The computer doesn't freeze, but I just can't figure out how to get it to work. If this helps to better understand the problem, please help me. Thanks!!!!!

Reply 5 of 16, by Farfle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, I just found the posting guidelines, and I appologise to all for not reading them in the first place. I am not very computer savvy, so I am not sure about the specs of my computer. I do know though that I have DOSbox .63, the latest one, and I have tried things like read me, but it seems like the only things that work are the three battlechess games that are working.

Reply 11 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently in 0.63 you can't play it. It requires Windows 3.1 with a 256 color SVGA driver. The CVS tip has S3 driver support and works. I have Battlechess MPC and it works fine. You can try it now by getting a recent binary from the CVS tip. Or wait for 0.64 to be released.

Reply 13 of 16, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁 😁 download windows in dosbox 😁 😁

😢 sorry : but microsoft has not yet "free'd" the windows 3.1 - i think u have to get it from somewhere - ebay or so

Microsoft is even not willing to give the old MS-DOS 3.22 free (my first operating system)

Reply 14 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Farfle wrote:

So how do I download windows in DOSbox?

Just to make things clear.
Windows is not free.
Do not ask for a copy on these forums.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 16, by Farfle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about that. I thought somebody suggested that I download it, but I read what they said, and they did say install, so my mistake. Anyhoo, that really sucks that they won't let you have old DOS and windows programs. I must say, all this dealing with DOS and windows 3.1 makes me nostalgic for the old days (well, older days) of computers, but anyway, back to the subject. Since the whole Windows idea is dead, anybody have any suggestions? It would really be good if someone could find a link to a site where I can download the Enhanced CDrom version. I've spent hours trying to find it, but all I could find was the other ones (please, if you send a link, make sure it's the enhanced version, I really don't want to get my hopes up only to find that it's another download of the original 1988-89 version). Thanks.