Common searches

INCA CD

Topic actions

First post, by loki1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi folks!

i tried runnning the CD version of INCA (dunno if a floppy version does exist), and it doesn't work anywhere, no matter if i try in DosBOX, Virtual PC or native windows 2000.

the problem is that it is from '92 i think, and the CD maybe somewhat non-standard. seems there is even some "hidden" datatrack, since the data on CD is displayed as about 400 kB, but the game MUST have much more data accompanied by 1 large audio track...

anyone ever got this working?

greets,

---loki

aVALON eST eXIDII

Reply 1 of 10, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does "not work" mean? I have both versions and they both run under dosbox perfectly.

Did you mount the CD-ROM before starting Inca?

mount d: d:\ -t cdrom

Also did you install the game first or are you trying to run it straight off the cd? What sound settings did you try?

Please give more information..

Reply 2 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all, there are floppy versions of both games that work without much trouble, but have MIDI music and no voice tracks. The audio on the CD version is an audio CD track. Though I have had success with the other Cokel Vision CD games with VDMS, using SAPUCDEX, I have not had much luck with either of the CD versions of the Inca series. I can get them to run, but not very well. They don't like to run in windows 9x, either. They really want to run in pure DOS.

Reply 3 of 10, by loki1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first: what confuses me the most is the fact that the actual data on CD is less than 400 kB (and don't tell me about hidden files, i am no noob).

and: i do only have INCA, not INCA 2

running the setup in dosbox tells me "a CD drive is needed to install". and yes, of course i mounted with type "cdrom"

running in VPC works, at least the install. when starting, some sundown is shown and the game loads, seen as a status bar on bottom. when finished, i get kicked back to DOS with some error message shown (dunno what it says, but not really informative).

the OS in VPC is the PC-DOS that comes with VPC, could it be its fault?

aVALON eST eXIDII

Reply 4 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there is a data track AND an audio track on the same CD, Explorer only shows the data track. An audio CD ripping program can see it, though, and if you put the CD in a CD player, you can hear the audio track.

I think that the main problem is that the game needs MSCDEX. MSCDEXNT or SAPUCDEX won't work right. DOSBox doesn't well for the Coktel Vision CD games, either. You might try FreeDOS or real MSDOS in your VPC.

Reply 5 of 10, by loki1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

again, i am no noob.
off course there is one large CDDA track. but thats not my problem, i just wonder why the actual DATA files are just so small. the box reads something about FMV. ok, FMV is not always video, but the datat is too small even for some nice graphics.
i thought that the game maybe extracts data from the audio track, but i think this is too complicated, especially for such an old game.

i will try it in VPC/M$-DOS and tell you what it does there....

aVALON eST eXIDII

Reply 6 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is almost 30 MB in the base directory of my CD. There's also about 12 and a half MB in a DEMOS folder.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 10, by loki1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

seems like there are major differences between my version and yours.
i will post a file list in a few days and see if i can tell the version and origin.....

aVALON eST eXIDII

Reply 8 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There should be a file with the name "VERSION" in the base directory of the CD. Mine says 1.001 and the CD has a Sierra lable. I don't know if there was a CD version with just the Coktel lable.

Reply 9 of 10, by loki1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi again.

finally i found time to look into it.

the CD data track contents are as follows:

Directory of F:\

01.01.1601 01:00 11.085 ALL.ASK
01.01.1601 01:00 15 BINCA.BAT
01.01.1601 01:00 10 INCA.BAT
01.01.1601 01:00 1.469 INCA.LIC
01.01.1601 01:00 1.368 INCA.RAC
01.01.1601 01:00 18.789 INSTALL.EXE
01.01.1601 01:00 658 INSTALL.INF
01.01.1601 01:00 10 LOADER.BAT
01.01.1601 01:00 981 READ.ME
01.01.1601 01:00 54.755 TRANSFER.EXE
01.01.1601 01:00 23.896 TRANSFER.STK
11 File(s) 113.036 Bytes
0 Directories, 0 Bytes free

when extracted via isobuster, the data track is about 36 MB big, even the files seen are just about 110 kB.

when installed, in the dir on HD 54 files with about 31 MB are shown.

the error which is presented on all PC-DOS/MS-DOS in VPC or VMWare says:
"System_Err(-5)
Appuyez sur TAB pour sortir
Ram:0"

OR, when starting game instead of intro first:

"CPU error: incorrect opcode. killing process."

maybe this is cause i got an AMD?

VMWare additionally says that the application tried to do some (illegal?) DMA access....

Additionally found in INSTALL.INF:

(c)Copyright M.D.O., 1992 : (p)Mathieu Marciacq
Inca v 1.0

seems completely different to your version....

aVALON eST eXIDII