VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by masamune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, im trying to get castle of the winds to work on windows xp with dos box and i dont really know how to use it. i got the moun c c:\windows
to work but i dont know how to run a game. so will anyone please help me?

Reply 1 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Perhaps you would get a clue if you read the manual/User Guide for that Castle in the Winds game?

PS: It is bad form to post identical questions in multiple thread, so I deleted a similar question from you.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
masamune wrote:

the readme was in 1993 it wont help... any emulators that would run it or something?

Why is the year relevant? Does it say anything about how to install & run the game?

Reply 6 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@masamune, I think you are a bit confused on what you should really do. Could you please try this procedure for installing and configuring your game?

1. Create a directory for your game, e.g. "C:\DOSBox stuff\COW".
  2. Insert CD in drive.
  3. Start DOSBox.
  4. In DOSBox, mount up DOSBox's drive C: and D:

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\COW"
    Z:>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

(assuming that D:\ is your real CD/DVD drive)
  5. Install the game from D: to C:

Z:>D:
    D:>install

(or setup, or whatever the installation program is called. Check your installation guide for COW for the exact name)
  6. Configure sound, configure graphics, ...

(when you configure sound and are asked about stuff like IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA addresses, please verify that you use the same values as listed in "C:\Programs\DOSBox\dosbox.conf")
  7. Start game.

D:>C:
    C:>dir

C:>cow

(or "run", or "play" or whatever the command to start the game is called. Check the instalation guide/manual for the command to use for starting the game)

Reply 9 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Castle of the Winds requires Windows 3.1. You might be able to get it running natively in Windows XP if you run it in Windows 95 compatability mode. If not then you'll have to experiment with installing Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, which is still something that people are working on.

Reply 10 of 17, by masamune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got it to work. all i did was take the autoexec.nt file from the c:/windows/repair folder and copy paste it to the system32 folder and it works now. ... now i want to get sink sub... another fun game.

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoah, I just remembered Castle of the Winds. I never played much of it but a friend back in HS in 1996-7 showed it to me. Looked pretty good but never got a chance to play it. Yeah, it's a Win 3.1 game.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a lightweight roguelike... I remember installing Win 3.1 on the 40MB MFM hard drive of my 8MHz 286 just to play it (then uninstalling Windows afterward because it was bloated enough even then to take up way too much space)