VOGONS

Common searches

Battlespire

Topic actions

First post, by The Jackyl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried searchin around for answers to my problem but have so far found none.

From what I understand DosBox v0.63 is suppose to include VESA support however when I try to run the game I get an error stating that it "Could not initialize VESA 15 bit 640x480 mode." I've tried to go through thedosbox config file and I an unable to find any setting for VESA.

On another note I've also tried using a regular dos shell plus SolVBE. The game starts to run but shuts down with the error that it cannot initiate sound even when I've set the sound to none.

Also DosBox doesn't seem to like SolVBE as if I try to run SolVBE from DosBox it causes DosBox to just close.

Any suggestions?

Reply 3 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox only support 8bit VESA resolutions at the moment. Not 15/16bit ones. Although 16bit may be supported in the next release. One guy implented 16bit support awhile ago.

Anyway, it's impossible to run the game on Windows 2000/XP rirght now.

Reply 4 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Battlespire was one of the late-generation DOS games, made when most of the larger software houses had moved to Windows development. If you really want to play it, the only real option right now is to build a computer that is capable of running pure DOS and is powerful enough to run the game.

Even if/when DOSBox gets 15/16-bit VESA support, it'll probably run too slow to be playable for quite some time. We'll just have to wait and see I guess...

Reply 5 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I did some googling on that "CauseWay error 09" message....

CauseWay appears to be an '90 DOS extender, so it is not surprising that it was used for a game like Battlespire. I don't know a solution, but from the various posts I read, it could be related to HIMEM/EMS/XMS issues, so try to disable/enable memory stuff in the VDMSound LaunchPad, and you might get it to work.

CauseWay was released into the public domain in 2000. You could try to download the latest binaries/libraries and see if they can be dropped into the game directory as replacements for the ones in Battlespire.

Link: http://www.devoresoftware.com/freesource/cwsrc.htm

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try it under Microsoft Virtual PC. It's been awhile since I tested VESA under VPC but it emulates an S3 Trio so I'm sure it supports 15bit.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 12, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

It runs slow but it does run with the 1.5 patch. Just put detail on low and make the window a little slower and you can play.

In the DOSBox CVS by ykhwong, it runs relatively decent 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, thanks for that - does he have an English DOSBOX though? I already use 3 versions of Dosbox 😜 I'm using another CVS version which has D3D support. All these seperate versions with seperate patches can get confusing, I hope 6.4 will have them bundled.

Reply 12 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't seen any indication yet that Qbix is interested in adding D3D support to the official CVS. It's not really a cross-platform feature (only works on Windows) but then again the official CVS has ddraw support...