VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bushwakko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get this error when using the dos version, and the windows version just doesn't start...

Error on Explode
Script #: 0, IP:0

Reply 1 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hurray! Wasn't there a Windows interpreter for this game? Guys? Guys?

Please do a search for "Sierra" on VOGONS. It should bring up some enlightening bits of information for you. 😀

This is not a VDMSound issue. Moving to The Guide > DOS

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by bushwakko Error on Explode
Script #: 0, IP:0

For whatever reason, your install is hosed. The scipt basically explodes if you are missing any file. This can also happen if the file is there, but is corrupted.

Suggest that you re-install from scratch, and use the Windows version. The Windows version won't run properly uless you use compatibility mode (Windows 95 and all other options checked).

For reference, here's what Snover was referring to:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=83
showthread.php?s=&threadid=709

Reply 3 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was having the same problem. In my case the problem was that the installer didn't recognize the resource.000 file on DISK2. Windows 7 recognized it just fine, and could copy the contents of DISK2, as well as create a DISKCOPY copy of the floppy from the command line. However the installer had the same problem with the DISKCOPY floppy. When the game installer couldn't access the resource.000 on DISK2, it just prompted for DISK3, DISK4, DISK5, and DISK6 and copied the files off of them like nothing had happened. But when I tried to run the game, I got the same error as the OP --

Error on Explode
Script #: 0, IP:0.

I noticed that the resource.000 files on DISK2, DISK3, DISK4, and DISK5 were not the same file (different md5), and that the resource.000 files were an equivalent size on DISK2, DISK3, and DISK4, with the resource.000 on DISK5 being a little smaller. This made me think maybe there was nothing wrong with the resource.000 file on DISK2.

I also noticed that the resource.000 file that the installer created in the game folder was the exact size of the resource.000 files on DISK3, DISK4, and DISK5 added together. That made me wonder if they weren't a simple concatenation.

So I copied the resource.000 files from the floppies to a folder on my hard drive, renaming them as r1, r2, r3, and r4 after copying so they wouldn't overwrite each other. Then I opened a Windows Command window, CD'ed to the folder containing the r1, r2, r3, and r4 files, and used the copy command to produce a new resource.000 file

copy /b r1+r2+r3+r4 resource.000

I substituted this new resource.000 file for the incomplete one that the game had installed. Then I started DOSBox, started the game, and the game started right up.

If other people have had the same problem with installing the DOS version of the floppy version of Freddy Pharkas, yet are able to install the Windows version, I wonder if there weren't some floppy versions of Freddy Pharkas sold with bad DOS installers. After all, the resource.000 files on the floppies are in folders called "BOTH" which suggests both the Windows and the DOS installers use them.

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or just use the new installer http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSier … stallers.html#F

Also, in the future, just start a new thread instead of dredging up such and old thread. This thread was started a dozen years ago. The original poster is long gone.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread is the ONLY result that came up with a Google search for
"Freddy Pharkas" "Error on Explode" site:vogons.org

If I found the thread when looking for a solution to "Error on Explode" I'm sure other people will too.
Those are the people I posted the solution for, not the OP.

I saw the patch page you linked to, but it says to read the "special instructions" which say
"NOTE: Floppy owners, be sure you have DOSBox installed in Program Files\DOSBox before running installer."

They do NOT say Program Files (x86)\DOSBox... which is where DOSBox is installed on my computer.
Maybe that's what they meant, but it's not what they said.
Program Files is a completely different folder from Program Files (x86).
I know nothing about how that patch works -- whether it would automatically install a second instance of DOSBox in my Program Files folder and make a mess of things.

Using the COPY command would also work on a vintage DOS computer, which the DOSBox patch would not.
Since this is the DOS forum and not the DOSBox forum, the COPY solution is a better one for this particular forum.

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is old and has not been updated. With anything like that, a 32-bit program accessing the %ProgramFiles% folder will be redirected to "Program Files (x86)" on x64 Windows. Besides, it is no longer relevant, so ignore it. It is an installer, not a patch. Just be sure that you have DOSBox installed and that you select it during the installation or let it install it if you do not already have it installed.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 8, by Madeleine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't get the new installer to work. It told me to copy the files from the disks to the same folder as the installer. I did that, but the installer doesn't acknowledge it and keeps giving me the same message. When I tried Skitters' solution, I got the message "The system cannot find the file specified" when I tried to copy the files.

Reply 8 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you follow the directions listed in the license displayed in the installer about the subdirectories?