VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by your evil twin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Please, can someone tell me what I should put for my drive letter and my flicpath so that I can have the movies on my harddrive instead of the CD? At the moment, I either get a black screen, or a working game with no movies.

The long explanation:

My computer's CD drive is the E:\ drive and for some reason DOS doesn't seem to like it. When in dos, if I do cd e:\ then it says invalid drive, but typing "cd c:\" works. So, my computer recognises my c:\ drive but it doesn't think I have an e drive. Hmm, odd. Anyway, to install Crusader: No Remorse, what I did was copy all of the files off the CD (in windows 98se) into a folder on the c:\ drive, and then ran the install programme from there in dos. That worked fine.

I then copied the movies and music into my c:\crusader folder. When I tried to play the game, I got a black screen as the game tried to start up. So, i changed the configuration file so that instead of "flicpath=\flics" it was "flicpath=\crusader\flics". (The cd drive letter was already c, I guess cause it hadn't found a cd drive or something.) So, i restarted in dos... and yay, the the game worked! Except that there were no movies. It seems that I had given it an invalid flics directory, which meant it didn't try to play the movies... but I want to watch the movies!

I've tried changing the drive letter, I've tried changing newvideo to false instead of true... but I can't get it to work! Whatever I try tends to either make the screen go black, or the game start without any movies.

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Do not use cd e:\ or cd c:\.

Use

X:> E:
E:\> cd \

or

X:> C:
C:\> cd \

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by your evil twin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm not trying to install from the CD anymore, or use dosbox... I'm wondering how to get the game to play the movies, when I play it using normal DOS that comes with Windows 98se.

I was hoping for someone that knows about the Crusader games, and knows how to change the flicpath correctly in the cfg file - I'd have thought that \crusader\flicpath would do the job, but it doesn't... Alternatively, is there anyway to get normal DOS to recognise the existance of my E drive.

Or, as a last deperate move - anyone have an idea where I can a codec so that I can play the Crusader avi files? In Windows media player or Video Lan Client I can play the sound but get no picture. At least I'd be able to watch the story then, if I can't get the movies to work in-game.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For normal Dos you need to load the atapi-CD-Rom driver in config.sys and mscdex.exe in autoexec.bat. I'm sure there must be some guide here on how to do that.
In Dosbox, it is enough to mount the CD-Rom drive as CD-Rom drive and it should just work.
I'll see if I can dig out my Crusader CDs and give some more help on this.

Reply 4 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The readme file also indicates this:

Q: The game hangs at a black screen every time I run it.
A: This problem may be caused by not having FILES=40 set in your CONFIG.SYS

Solution: In your CONFIG.SYS set FILES=40 and BUFFERS=40

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

why is that relevant for this problem? (sorry, am a bit grumpy and wondered why you posted this in regard to the above problems)

Reply 6 of 7, by your evil twin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I fixed the problem! The cfg that worked was:

cdletter=c

flicpath=\crusader\flics

newvideo=true

Don't have a clue what newvideo means; it isn't mentioned in the readme or any FAQs or guides or anything. I think I might have made a very stupid mistake before... perhaps I had missed out the \ before crusader in the flicpath. 😦

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

http://www.wcnews.com/webmirrors/tech/gamefaq/noremors.html

newvideo turns video display on/off. Why they couldn't just name it video is probably lost in time 😀