VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Piter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI everybody!
I would like to play this avesome game, but when I try to run it in Dos, a problem occurs 🙁 :

Halted file MEMORY\CPROTMEM.C, line 1616.

I have no idea what is it? Can You give me a helping hand with it please?

My specs:

Celeron 700
320 RAM
10,2 gb HD
Win98
Voodo2 graphics

I thank for any help in advance

Piter

Reply 1 of 8, by Piter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I removed 256 RAM and stayed with 64. I tried to run to crusader in DOS. Well, I thought this time was ok, because the game was loading .. but afrer a second or two my screen goes black (and stayed black) and thats it - I had to restart my comp. Ah - just before the screen gone black some sentence appeared under the loading line. It's so fast, that I can't read it 😵 I suppose the loading was interrupted somehow. I don't know.

Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are trying to run it under pure ms-dos you will need a ms-dos compliant sound card with working drivers. As Crusader: No regret is a protected mode game, you may probably need a clean boot too.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 8, by Piter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is using DOSbox going to make things easier?

And I installed it once more with full installation from dos, and it run (no sound and no mouse thought) no intro. But the menu worked just fine. But when I went to game-mode. I only seen pesons, - a crusader, and some other. No floor, walls, nothing - a black screen with persons only. When they moved (and me too) they left a copy of themselvs behind them. So the screen was full of them after 10 secs or so...

But after restarting the comp I can't run it anymore... 😠

the error occurs: no compliant video card or something similiar. Well, it's the problem You mentioned I suppose. .

It's my first attempt to play a old, DOS game on my PC, and I don't really know what to do now 😢

Piter

Reply 4 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. DOSBox could help. Unfortunately, your 700MHz Celeron might not be powerful enough to run it at acceptable speed. Remember that DOSBox virtualises everything and, as such, more speed than real is needed. This improves compatibility though.

But back to the subject...

Go into DOSBox folder and edit dosbox.conf file using Notepad. Check the render= and core= lines.
Set render to overlay to see if it works. Set core=dynamic
Set cycles=10000
Set frameskip=3

Save changes. See if that makes any difference. Of course, I recommend you reading all documentation as well as the FAQs/Guides on these forums.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heck, even a "real" P3 700mhz wouldn't be able to run Crusader acceptably with DosBox, with your Celeron there really isn't a chance.

You'd be better off runing Crusader under Microsoft Virtual PC.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NO. Crusader is incompatible with the memory extender in NTVDM.

It's:

DosBox
VPC
Real Dos

That's it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline