VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dudalb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Something wierd has happened.
Once I could run certain Dos games on my XP computer.
(Warcraft,Jagged Alliance,SPMBT,Wooden Ships and Iron Men).
Now my computer no longer runs them, they crash when I try to run them.
With some I get a message about certain files missing, in others I don't.
I have not upgraded my system, have installed no new Service packs from Microsoft for XP,have not changed video cards or video card drivers since these games ran fine. The only change is that I had a DVD rom drive installed as a second CD drive. Could this have screwed up my DOS capability.
I have dosbox, but the games run much slower on it and for some reason when I try to run dosbox fullscreen it crashes
My specs are P4 2GZH
512MB of memory
Sound blaster Live
Nividia GEFOrce 4 4200 Ti card
and am running XP Pro.
Any reason why this would happen all of a sudden? Is it a memory issue.
Some Dos games I never could run until Dosbox, but the ones I am concerned about did run fine until a couple of weeks ago and I did not , to my knowledge, to anything to alter the XP system that would have caused this like install a new service pack, etc.
Thanks for you help in this matter.
Could the c rashing FullScreen DosBox have something to do with this?

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible that your drive letters changed around as a result of installing a new drive, and that the games can't find their files anymore because of it.

Either reinstall the games, or in Windows open Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management, then right-click on the affected drives and change their letters to the way they were before you installed the new drive.

Reply 2 of 5, by dudalb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help, but it can't be a CD drive problem for two reasons.

1. I had the dvd drive installed by a pro, and he did not change the letters of any drive. It was installed with drive number that had never been used before. The cd rom drive I have been using is still in place with the same letter as when the games were working.
2. Some of the games that no longer work are downloads, which I did not install from a CD drive, and have never needed a CD Rom to run.
I tried a reinstall with a couple of the games to no avail.
Anybody else have ideas?

Reply 5 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. Snover is probably right but you haven't tell us what the exact error message is yet. 😦

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)