VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

we managed to get a responce from dosbox .we tryed to install startrek next genaration A final unity.

this is what it says in the installer
THE GAME REQUIRES A DISK DRIVE CAPABLE OF MORE THAN 300KB PER SECOND TRANSFERATE RATE .

MY CD DRIVE IS A DVD-16X DVD-ROM BDV3I6E.

is my cd drive to slow .if i need to change my cd drive to a faster speed ,which cd drive should i go for?.

Reply 3 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Lower cycles in DOSBOX. Alternative to speeding up CD is to slow down installer... The installer will not know it was slowed down, but it will think that CD is quicker...

One more thing: I hate people too lazy to write "you" properly... 😀 It is "you" not "u".

Mirek

Reply 4 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ithan u for that info.

i tryed to lower cycles to 500 by pressing ctrl and f12 then i tryed again in higher speed cycles it still coming up the error about a faster cd drive.and the game is dos version.
it still didnt load the game has anybody got this game and got working in dosbox?

Reply 6 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to say this im not that stupid . ive tryedi n windows like i said before my windows xp will not load ms dos programs when i load in windows it sayy ms dos is not suitable for windows cannot continue.please close applications

but thanks for info i guess im gonna have to buy a faster cd drive

Reply 7 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry must be blind because I didn't see you mention that you had already tried installing in Windows.

If your cannot install in Windows and you get a "Config.NT" error or "Autoexec.NT" error then you need to read this: 16-bit subsystem error "Your system is not suitable for running 16-bit apps"

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

do u need the cd to correct those problem can do it without ? but i do not have windows xp cd because my brother gave the computer to me .are u able to buy windows cd.
becausei like to fix those problems i have many games in that message error .
thank u for that information

Reply 9 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No, the CD is not needed. The REPAIR folder with the good files are on you hard disk.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i typed in run .c:\windows\repair found folder but theres nothing for me in folder to repair all i got in that folder is as follows.

autoexe. nt system

default config.nt

ntuser.dat ntuser.dat

sam sam

software secsetup

securtiy software

system.
when i open icons it just comes up with a box saying (open with)

theres no repair icon to click on to repair

Reply 11 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a patch for the installer for this game that lets you install, even if it looks like your system does not meet minimum requirements.

http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … nist.zip&ref=ps

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 12 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Aceuk, there is *NO* repair program.

All you have to do, is to copy (not move!!) the AUTOEXEC.NT and the CONFIG.NT files from the repair folder to C:\WINDOWS\system32

Reply 13 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cool thanks minimax that solved the problem with my errors. thanks. thank u collector for the patch i downloaded that sinces i got in windosw for the old games .i have two errors this is in side the game installer it tells u what u need for the requiment to run game same as before the speed cd drive needs to be faster and now its the buffer is the problem now .i guess i cant play next genaration a final unity .

Reply 14 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i didnt install patch probperly .but since i put that on its picked up the speed ok of my cd drive.. its picked up the buffers (what are buffers ) erorr in installer game. hmmm grazy computers are .is there way to fix that too .im almost there too play the game.

Reply 15 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry i didnt explain well since i got the game working in windows now the startrek game has picked up the speed of my cd drive. but the patch wont install. untill i get the actuall game working installed onto my hard drive . the only thing whats proventing me doing this its picked up another error in the game installer this time its the buffers but i dont know what they are .

Reply 16 of 25, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

where is the configsys file located on computer. iit says that i can increase the buffer to enable the game to work.

you know sinces ive enabled windows to play dos games, through my windows my computer been behaving funny like locking up.

Reply 17 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

There is no CONFIG.SYS - all you have is CONFIG.NT.

Reply 18 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

* Moving thread to the DOS forum *

Reply 19 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aceuk, in reply to your message to me, I will post it here, as others might find it useful, too.

Try copying the entire contents of the CD to a folder on your hard drive and copy the INSTALL.EXE from the patch over the original. Mount this folder as a CD-ROM in DOSBox with the -t cdrom and the -ioctl switches. Also, mount another folder as a "C:\" drive. This will allow you to install the game. Then see this thread for help on gatting it to run in DOSBox:

STTNG: A Final Unity Installation Guide for DosBox