VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is possible to play the settlers II in hotseat using two mice, unfortunately this does not seem to work for me. I've got here 2 USB mice and one PS/2, but since the readme said you needed one COM or PS/2 mouse and another COM mouse, I dug up an old mouse suitable for a COM-port and installed that one too (yeah I know, so many mice 😒 )
The game will start up with both the PS/2 and COM mouse working. But then, starting a multiplayer hotseat game, both mouse work only for the same player, the other one can't get anything done, he doesn't even have a cursor. Is there something I'm forgetting to do here? Do I need 2 COM-mice? Is there anyone who can help me with this? Thanks in advance.

system specs :
Win XP with sp2
athlon XP 2000+
512Mb Ram
Geforce Ti4200

I tried running the game with VDMS, Dosbox and plain Windows, but it doesn't work properly in either one.

Reply 1 of 2, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From http://www.bluebyte.net/eng/products/settlers … ips_techfaq.htm:

Mouse not working or stuck in the top left corner of the screen.

Please make sure you have the latest version of your mouse driver. In most cases this will solve the problem. We recommend Microsoft®'s mouse.exe version 8.20. (Later versions produced by Microsoft® should also work correctly.)

Two player mode not working.

Check to see that you do not have a mouse driver loaded for the second mouse. The second mouse must also be connected to a COM port ­ it cannot be a PS/2 or Bus mouse.

It sounds like you need two COM port mice.

Reply 2 of 2, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, it seems windows automatically installed a driver for the COM mouse, that's why settlers2 used it for player1. Thanks!

Unfortunately there is now a new problem : though there now is a cursor for player2, it (almost) doesn't budge. Every now and then (after frantically scrolling for 2 mins) it moves a tiny little bit. It can't be the driver though, there is none? 😀

edit : when the COM mouse is used for player 1 (i.e. there is a driver installed) it scrolls just fine. Is there a way to make settlers2 *think* there isn't a driver installed for the COM mouse?