VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alneyan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I have been trying to get Under a Killing Moon to work under Windows XP, with some success so far, thanks to the instructions provided on the boards. However, I ran into some problems with most FMVs, including the dialogue sequences: sometimes, the sound will disappear in the middle of a sequence, and the game will crash at the end of the sequence. Nobody else seemed to have the same problem, and Google didn't come up with anything about this particular problem.

My configuration is as follow:
- Athlon XP 1500+ (1.3 ghz)
- 768 mb of RAM (not sure of the type, but it is definitively not recent)
- ATI Radeon 7500 All In Wonder
- SB Live
- Windows XP alone on a NTFS partition (*Sighs*)

Under a Killing Moon is configurated to run under VDMS 2.10, but multiple options failed to resolve the problem (including VESA support, the most likely culprit). The game executable was slightly modified to achieve a Cli2Nop effect (only on one occurrence), but the standard exe has the same problem. Likewise, running the game without VDMS will still result in the same crash, so it is not a problem related to VDMS.

A few examples of when the game crashes (all the time): when picking up the gun, when looking at the photo in Tex's office, when exiting a conversation with Chelsea. The game will not crash while playing the various introduction screens. Interestingly, when the sound "drops" halfway through (it does that in the gun video), the game will crash at the end of the sequence, while the sound is fine during the introduction (and no crash). Once in a while, the sound will either not drop at all during a whole sequence, but most of the time it will drop at a similar point in the speech.

I have attempted using Fix8X14 to solve the problem, but it doesn't work. Using Cli2Nop on the executable rended the exe impossible to use (it couldn't load the main menu). I used Tex197.exe for my tests, but Tex3.exe has the same problem. I turned off the read-ahead setting of the hard-drive and the CD-Rom, but that doesn't seem to do much. Lastly, tweaking the config.ini file did not help: the game will still crash no matter what (in particular, video settings like MPEG, Auto432X324 and their ilk had no effect).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion on how to solve this problem; once it is done, the game should run very well under XP. How I miss the times when I had a dual boot... (DosBox works well enough, but my computer isn't fast enough to run Virtual Reality properly)