VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So as the title states, does anybody have any experience playing DOS games directly off an Iomega scsi Zip or Jaz drive? Any issues within a pure DOS environment? This is not a question of what's practical, I'm well aware that scsi devices are almost completely impractical on a personal computer. I'm also well aware that compact flash cards are cheaper and much easier to get. There's really no good reason for thinking along these lines other than because I can, and it would be cool to have easily swappable disks with different games.

So, can anybody share from experience how it works, or doesn't?

Reply 1 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than the drives would be slower than a hard drive and the drivers would gobble up (conventional, unless you're using emm386) memory which tends to be in short supply.

Reply 2 of 7, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So as far as the disks being their own drive letter, yeah there's no reason it wouldn't work. I'm thinking more in terms of performance, if there's a discernible difference running games off the disks vs running games off the hard drive. I think I'll just have to try it and see.

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never tried it but we used to play games off of cassette tapes so it can't be any worse than that. heh
I wonder if smartdrv would have any effect.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 7, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 2 iomega drives i both run dos game from they are parallel not scsi.
they run fine even with games like duke 3d yes its slow for the first time but once its in ram it runs ok
older games are better like the old 3d apogee titles.
i was using 1 on my 286 for a while when the mfm drive broke
worked well

Reply 6 of 7, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For that matter, you could play DOS games off floppy drives. As long as you load Smartdrv or another diskcache beforehand, it will only be slow for the initial load. Then, cached in RAM, the game will fly.

Reply 7 of 7, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For that matter, you could play DOS games off floppy drives. As long as you load Smartdrv or another diskcache beforehand, it will only be slow for the initial load. Then, cached in RAM, the game will fly.

Personally, I prefer running DOS games off a large ramdrive. I compress each game to a .7z archive and put these archives on a bootable DOS USB memory stick. Create a ramdrive large enough for the uncompressed game, and then decompress the .7z archive to that ramdrive, and I'm in bliss. Fast as fast can be, and 7zip usually compressess most DOS games from 50% to 75% or more. It's a great DOS archiver, much, much better than Pkzip, ARJ, or even RAR.