Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
t_r wrote on 2022-07-21, 19:12:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-21, 05:45:

Looks really nice. Today I have been doing research on thin clients, but most don't have DOS compatible sound cards, and if they have PCI expansion slot I have been told only ISA cards are fully supported on DOS, although I am not sure if this is completelly true.

Then you may want to look for a laptop. I have an ASUS L7200 which has an OPL3-SAx sound card, but no 3D acceleration (click on the gear icon in my signature for details).

Though PCI sound cards are not the end of the world. Some better than others, and the ESS Solo-1 is one of the best ones. You'll have to tolerate some degree of incompatibility anyway.
https://youtu.be/e14dFZWi2eI

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 21 of 21, by DOSDays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back in 2012 I was looking for a portable PC, one that I could use when travelling. I came across the EBox series, and in particular the EBox-2300. Just like the YT video above, it runs a SoC Vortex86, and claims to be similar in performance to a Pentium 200. It has 128 MB of RAM and supports booting from a CF or USB. I was looking primarily for something to be able to play DOS games, and this is where this particular unit failed to meet my need. The SiS chipset has an AC'97 codec, but no DOS audio drivers exist for it. At that time, I think I gave up and it was resigned to the loft. I don't recall if I ever even tried getting Windows 98 running on it and then leveraging a DOS command window in MS-DOS mode to play DOS games.

Here are some pics:

Attachments