VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm having some weirdness with movement in Daggerfall, which I don't recall having the last time I installed it on this particular machine. (listed first in signature.)

Basically, strafing while crouching is nearly impossible, going up or down stairs while crouching is completely impossible, and traversing water seems next to impossible, I can't go backwards or strafe, or get all the way under water. I have no armor and only something like 18/64 encumbrance. Granted, I have no swim skill, so that could be why that's terrible, but the rest doesn't seem quite right. I even tried knocking my CPU in half with moslo just to see if that would help, but no difference. Again, if this is by design, that's 100% fine, but if there's something gone wrong, I wants to fix it!

Thanks!

- Tom

Last edited by tomexplodes on 2022-07-26, 14:28. Edited 1 time in total.

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 2 of 7, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2022-07-25, 18:49:

Try setting cycles=auto limit 30000

I'm in the DOS forum and I specified I was on MS-DOS 6.22 in the title. I'm not using DOSBox.

2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 3 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't fully understand how Daggerfall calculates your movement stats, but being unable to ascend anything while crouching makes sense. I've never experienced being unable to descend while using the crouch/sneak movement option though.

The strafing is weird, you can either strafe or move forwards/backwards, not both at the same time, maybe that's what you're running into?

Swimming seems horribly bugged, I've tried increasing the skill numerous times, having a 100 END character, and it doesn't seem to make you swim any faster. You should cast "Water Walking" on yourself as a mitigation.

I see in your forum signature you're running a 233 MHz Pentium, does anything else seem to run "too fast" in Daggerfall? Do the mobs spin in circles sometimes?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 7, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2022-08-05, 04:30:
I don't fully understand how Daggerfall calculates your movement stats, but being unable to ascend anything while crouching make […]
Show full quote

I don't fully understand how Daggerfall calculates your movement stats, but being unable to ascend anything while crouching makes sense. I've never experienced being unable to descend while using the crouch/sneak movement option though.

The strafing is weird, you can either strafe or move forwards/backwards, not both at the same time, maybe that's what you're running into?

Swimming seems horribly bugged, I've tried increasing the skill numerous times, having a 100 END character, and it doesn't seem to make you swim any faster. You should cast "Water Walking" on yourself as a mitigation.

I see in your forum signature you're running a 233 MHz Pentium, does anything else seem to run "too fast" in Daggerfall? Do the mobs spin in circles sometimes?

Yeah I know I can't go diagonally basically, it's just when crouching that sometimes I can't strafe. Seems to depend on which way I'm facing. Very weird stuff. Nothing else seems off. Could just be stat calculations, this would not surprise me. In any event, crouching doesn't seem to be REALLY necessary. One thing I discovered I should NEVER do is sneak up stairs, because that tends to trigger falling through them in places, haha. But that's just Daggerfall being Daggerfall.

Reply 5 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of stat calculations seem to only work DURING initial character generation and never get modified properly ingame. I've had to roll really high STR scores just to beable to jump high enough whatsoever, leveling up Jumping didn't improve the jump height whatsoever.

END is supposed to affect swimming but only seems to increase the time it takes to drown. I have no idea how the swimming speed itself is supposed to be improved other than casting "Water Walking" effects on yourself.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων