VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Grim82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,

greetings to the community first. This is my first post. My question would be, since i started some retro computing too.
Does anybody know how to adjust the spin speed of the TEAC W552E CD-ROM drive via autoexec.bat ?
It seems like MSCDEX on it´s own is not capable of ?

Operation System: MS-DOS 6.22
Motherboard: Elpina L621 (if anyone could provide a manual it would be fantastic, this manufacturer seems like to be a ghost on google)
CPU: Pentium MMX 200 MHz
RAM: 128 MB

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Grim82

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by Grim82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CDBeQuiet is not working perfectly. It needs a CD-ROM inserted first, if not it won´t be active. At least from my experience.
If I insert a different disc while it was mounted it behaves the same. I always have to reboot the system till the cd drive works properly then.

my current autoexec.bat: (forget the REM commands for a moment please, they are just placeholders while i am fiddling)

@ECHO OFF
C:\DOS\KEYB GR,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
C:\DRIVERS\AZTPNP.EXE /D:C:\DRIVERS /DEFOPT
C:\DRIVERS\DOSMIXER.EXE /AUTO
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\DOS\mscdex.exe /D:mscd001 /m:12

:EM
:XM
:CM
REM LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
😦
:C
REM LH C:\UNIVBE\UNIVBE.EXE
REM LH C:\CDBQ.EXE -p2 -ds -s600

You see I set it to 4x speed (-s600 equals 600 kb/s). But i am looking for a method to tell the driver to run at let´s say 4x as the default.
The Teac drive can have a maximum of 52x CD-ROM speed. And besides not every media likes CDBeQuiet, sometimes it is telling me there is no cd available when it should be the case.

Last edited by Grim82 on 2022-08-16, 16:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grim82 wrote on 2022-08-16, 16:12:

CDBeQuiet is not working perfectly. It needs a CD-Rom inserted first, if not it won´t be active. At least from my experience.

That's normal. You aren't supposed to put CDBeQuiet! into AUTOEXEC.BAT. Instead, start it after inserting the CD.

That said, with a Teac drive, you should be able to use its own driver to limit speed to 4x. Phil describes it here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 7, by Grim82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Joseph_Joestar,

thanks for the link. I luckily had the teac_cdi.sys driver in my config.sys file.
I added the /S:4 command. Now it boots up and is telling me:

Spin Speed: Auto*4

When i change it to /S:1:

Spin Speed: Fixed*1

But still, it behaves like CDBeQuiet. If no CD is inserted, it will throttle up to it´s maximum 52x speed.
If CD is inserted and the system is rebooted the drive will recognise the /S:4 option and reduce the output to 4x CD-ROM speed.

Reply 5 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-08-16, 16:23:
Grim82 wrote on 2022-08-16, 16:12:

CDBeQuiet is not working perfectly. It needs a CD-Rom inserted first, if not it won´t be active. At least from my experience.

That's normal. You aren't supposed to put CDBeQuiet! into AUTOEXEC.BAT. Instead, start it after inserting the CD.
[...]

this is not my experience
I use CDBQ in autoexec in several systems and it limits the speed of the drives - no cdrom disk needed to be inserted for it to work
looking now at the readme.txt

* If you make my tool part of your automated boot process (e.g. putting it
in autoexec.bat) please make sure to load any device drivers of your optical
disk drive before executing CDBeQuiet!. Device drivers (atapicd.sys,
mscdex.exe, ...) are known to send the software reset command, which will
reset all settings my tool sent.

* Some drives tend to forget the speed setting once you open/close the tray.
In this case, the only workaround up until now is to execute CDBeQuiet! again
after changing the medium.

it could very well mean that I got lucky with the drives and they did not reset their speeds on tray open/close

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-08-16, 17:18:

it could very well mean that I got lucky with the drives and they did not reset their speeds on tray open/close

That could be it. Every drive that I have forgets settings after the tray is opened. For that reason, I made a custom BAT file which calls CDBeQuiet! as needed, and I run that every time I insert a CD.

I don't play many multi-CD games, but I gather one could switch CDs, save the game, quit and then re-run CDBeQuiet! to slow the drive again. Not exactly straightforward, but it's the only way for drives which forget the speed setting whenever the tray is opened.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi