VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a DOS-based game (through DOS4GW) and it ran perfectly in 9x family.
In XP in various compatibility modes it locks up after Dos4gw title. I've tried disabling sound and replacing Dos4gw with Dos32a, same result. In DosBox it runs, but unplayable (slow), probably because it runs at resolutions 640x480 and up, its 2d RTS with some unique features.

Any suggestions welcome:)

Reply 2 of 8, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've ran it In DosBox with dos32a, yes, but i don't know was it with dynamic core or not. 3-5 FPS:( I think dosbox is best suited for older games. BTW, has anyone compared dosbox with VirtualPC speed-wise?

Reply 3 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should give dynamic core a try. It will make a hell of a difference. I was just playing Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva yesterday, which uses VESA 640x480x256c; replaced DOS4G stub with DOS32A and it run quite good, as I recalled it from the ms-dos days.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 8, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried dynamic core. Generally it's almost ok (sound sometimes choppy, maybe try to set sound to 11khz in dosbox options or turn it off), but when unit is destroyed and death animation is played, there is significant lag. Which of display modes is faster - overlay, opengl, ddraw?

Reply 6 of 8, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Partial solution found. Game runs without dosbox in WinXP if you run nolfb.com first (make a bat file with nolfb.com and then warinc.exe). I've integated dos32a into executable too. Solution is partial because there are 4 small square areas on the screen wich are black at first and then filled with garbled graphics (probably video mode stuff). Have anyone had such a problem with other games with nolfb.com?

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What type of graphics card do you have?
What res does the game run in?

If your using NOLFB it's probably an Nvidia card and your probably trying to run the game past 640x....

Do the garbled graphics happen in DosBox as well? If not then you'll you can try the WinXPFix Utility which patches XP's vga.sys to fix VESA incompatibilities. Be warned tho it's not official and may break your system so be sure to backup vga.sys and have a method of recovery read (DOS Bootdisk with NTFS/Dual-boot/BartPE)

Here's the link: http://www.nomissoft.com/service.html

Post back if it works.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by Sneaksie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Graphics card is Radeon 9550, War Inc runs in 640x480. Looks like 256 colors.
I've tried nolfb because otherwise game hangs on startup with black screen. I recall there were no garbled graphics in dosbox.
Thank you i'll try this tool.