VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The earlier Sierra games (AGI engine) only supported PC speaker and Tandy 3-channel voice but MS-DOS PCs didn't include the Tandy 3-channel voice chip so you are stuck with PC speaker only.

I've found two projects that 'convert' (?) the Tandy 3-channel voices into SoundBlaster ("AGISB") or MIDI ("AGI-MIDI") but I'm wondering if they are the best (or only?) solution.

Are there any other options?

The AGI-MIDI sounds through the MT-32 don't sound too good in my opinion but the AGISB sounds pretty good.

There seems to be a project called temu which I THINK is a Tandy 3-voice channel emulator for DOS?

Reply 1 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- you can use MT32 or SC55 with these AGI games (when patched) I prefer SC55 which sounds better.
- you can also hook up an LPT-DAC and use temu to play these games with EGA gfx and "enulated" tandy music/sound.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 2 of 7, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The TNDY 3 Voice ISA project is fantastic if you're into playing AGI games on real hardware. The original is out of stock but it seems a revision is on the way.

As a Sierra fan I absolutely love mine!

Reply 3 of 7, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use one of these TNDLPT : Tandy Sound on parallel port A nice advantage is you don't have to give up an isa slot and can easily remove it whenever you don't feel like using it.

Reply 4 of 7, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-10-20, 13:35:

- you can also hook up an LPT-DAC and use temu to play these games with EGA gfx and "enulated" tandy music/sound.

temu requires a Covox LPT adapter, right?

(By the way, I'm also in the process of building a Tandy Nano AND I have the TNDLPT on the way... I love to have options!)

Reply 5 of 7, by Vresiberba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2022-10-20, 13:35:

- you can use MT32 or SC55 with these AGI games (when patched) I prefer SC55 which sounds better.

Is there a guide to make this work and is using the MT32pi going to work for this?

Reply 6 of 7, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The AGI-MIDI utility is located here: http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtil … s/AGI-MIDI.html

You just run it inside the game directory and it will patch your files.

I've also tried the AGI-SB utility (http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/SoundUtil … es/AGISB03.html) which uses the Adlib card instead of the Tandy 3-voice sounds but I didn't like the sound too much. It's very dark/deep instead of the light (?) like the original Tandy sound.

Reply 7 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

two questions on this:

1. can the AGI-MIDI patch work on XT-systems that do not have a soundcard and the roland-devices connected to a serial-output like on my setup here: https://youtu.be/MSvx0ddJREk
2. can the AGI-SB patch work on XT-systems that do not have a soundcard and use an LPT-FM Device like an OPL3/LPT ?

Even If one of this is possible I think there will be additional patches on the software needed?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines