VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RiverBoa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm trying to put together a Toshiba Libretto 110CT for a road trip, and I want to be able to run Civilization in Windows, because there's no hardware volume control. It runs full speed in Windows 95 on my 70CT with a 120MMX but it runs slow in Windows 98 on the 110CT with a 233MMX.

Any idea what I might be able to do to get it to run full speed other than putting it into MSDOS mode with no sound control?

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RiverBoa wrote on 2022-11-17, 04:50:

So I'm trying to put together a Toshiba Libretto 110CT for a road trip, and I want to be able to run Civilization in Windows, because there's no hardware volume control. It runs full speed in Windows 95 on my 70CT with a 120MMX but it runs slow in Windows 98 on the 110CT with a 233MMX.

Any idea what I might be able to do to get it to run full speed other than putting it into MSDOS mode with no sound control?

Are you installing the same drivers (especially graphics card, audio, power management) in both OSes ? Or are you relying on Windows 98's integrated drivers for some devices, but using Toshiba/third party provided ones in Windows 95 ?

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!

I remember something similar from many moons ago.
I've had built a PC for my little sister at the time.
One of the games was SRB2, which used DDraw or OpenGL (experimental).
(This was a 2,5D ge at the time, not the 3D of today.)

Well, oddly enough it ran faster/smoother on Win95 than it did on Win98SE.
I'm not entirely sure why. The Win95 installation was upgraded, DirectX wise.

To get similar performance, maybe it's enough to use 98Lite and use Windows 95 explorer with Windows 98SE?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by RiverBoa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-11-17, 06:02:
RiverBoa wrote on 2022-11-17, 04:50:

Are you installing the same drivers (especially graphics card, audio, power management) in both OSes ? Or are you relying on Windows 98's integrated drivers for some devices, but using Toshiba/third party provided ones in Windows 95 ?

I'm using the factory drivers from Toshiba in both. I did a fresh install from the restore CDs on both systems.