VOGONS

Common searches

yet another standalone dos7.1 install cd rom

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by truemaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello ive started a year or so ago a standalone msdos 7.1 iso and i though i might share it here. It might be helpfull it might no. Now lets go to how it has created and what it gives
i extracted all files from boot diskette and also copy the files from windows 98 se command folder including the files in ebd.zip. Hex edit the command.com to show microsoft ms-dos 7.1 intead of microsoft windows 98 and patch ms.dos.sys to disable the boot logo animation. Ive also take some goodies from china union dos7.1. Although i dont know how to make it bootable and be able to install by it self. For instalation it needs a bootable floppy disk the one what comes with win98 is fine. Simple when you are on A:\ fdisk the hdd and format the hdd, change from A:\ to cd rom drive and type install when system restarts select in your bios the first bootable to be your hdd and youre all set. Furher suggestions for additions and propably a standalone bootable cd rom (without a need for floppy) is welcome

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-12-09, 17:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by henk717

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like its the season for it! Also released mine this month which can be seen in action here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7Mp0szm-fA
To make it bootable you want your own bootable floppy image first, once you have that search for an ISO Editor such as UltraISO that can add the boot image to the CD.
Yours borrows very heavily from CDU though, so people may opt for that one since it has the nicer installer. Having the options for limited memory out of the box is nice, I have done that on mine as well.