VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inspired by the exceptional work of Jo22 in locating Stll River Shell -- a program I haven't seen of or heard about in 30 years, I have a possibly even more difficult request.

Back in 1992, I distinctly remember a Shareware / Demo 5.25" disk of a DOS Grammar file checker called Prostyle, created by an outfit called Midnight Oil Productions. The company was a member of the ASP, and I found the the documentation PROSTYLE.DOC I had saved, but can't locate the actual program anywhere. It seems to have completely disappeared. It was definitely released in 1992, and may have been on 1992 or 1993 CD shareware shovelware collections.

The PROSTYLE.EXE program would give highly interesting and somewhat amusing results when fed ASCII text files, like "This is terrible!" and give all sorts of analysis like number of words. "grade level" and other facts.

It is probably buried in cd.textfiles or some other shovelware collection. I've looked in such collections, and at archive.org but can't find it or ferret it out. There were other such programs, such as PC-PROOF, which *is* listed at Simtel Collection mirror sites like: http://www.lanet.lv/simtel.net/msdos/txtutl.html

May jo22 or some other expert in Google-fu and / or anyone who has this (obviously, by now) exceptionally rare DOS program help? Perhaps the .ZIP is archived on an old preserved page on the Wayback Machine somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to start there!

Many and profound thanks. I've discovered so many "lost" programs thanks to similar treasure-hunt threads. So, I have faith that this fine community may provide some closure on this. I've been searching for years for this little nugget.

Reply 2 of 6, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carbontwelve wrote on 2023-02-06, 11:59:

Are you able to upload the doc file somewhere? Also did you look at http://www.retroarchive.org/cdrom/index.html ?

Sure, this is the ProStyle documentation file, dated 8-1-93, which I saved in my docs archive. I lost the hard drive where I had the PROSTYLE.EXE DOS program over a decade ago.

Attachments

• Filename
    ProStyle_Docs.zip
    File size
    45.18 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That document suggests that the filename is actually "PS.EXE" (it says to run "PS") - or maybe "PS.COM" - so that might help your searching. However there are lots of PS.EXE matches on http://discmaster.textfiles.com/ - for one thing there will be lots of DOS/Windows equivalents of the Unix "ps" command - so I didn't manage to find it myself. Good luck!

Reply 4 of 6, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
doshea wrote on 2023-03-09, 11:10:

That document suggests that the filename is actually "PS.EXE" (it says to run "PS") - or maybe "PS.COM" - so that might help your searching. However there are lots of PS.EXE matches on http://discmaster.textfiles.com/ - for one thing there will be lots of DOS/Windows equivalents of the Unix "ps" command - so I didn't manage to find it myself. Good luck!

No, the exe file was called PROSTYLE.EXE as I recall, it was a large DOS MZ-EXE about 250 or more kb. The file datestamp was 8-1-93 or very close to it, as that's the .DOC file datestamp.

However, I searched for hours on textfiles.com and downloaded all the PS.EXE I could find with no success and PS.ZIP or PSTYLE.zip files I could find, without success. It was a maddening search. But, still possible it exists *somewhere* or that I missed it in the utter drudgery, mind-numbing chore of going through unlabeled, usually unsorted, unintuitive listings of thousands of ZIP files on "random" CDs.

Reply 5 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the manual:

To start ProStyle, make sure that you are in the ProStyle directory and from the DOS prompt type: […]
Show full quote

To start ProStyle, make sure that you are in the ProStyle directory
and from the DOS prompt type:

PS [Return]

If you are not in the ProStyle directory, you can still run ProStyle
by adding its directory name to the startup command:

\PROSTYLE\PS [Return]

Perhaps it had a PS.BAT that launched PROSTYLE.EXE then.

I took a look on some PC-SIG CD-ROMs and also a printed version of the shareware encyclopedia and couldn't find it there, although if it had been on the CD-ROMs it probably would have shown up in discmaster anyway.

Reply 6 of 6, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, back in the day, I actually had ordered it on 5.25" 360K floppy from a "Shareware / shovelware" company which would send you these floppies in the regular mail. Those companies existed back then; they'd charge from $2 to $4 per floppy of shareware (unregistered) programs. Well before the days of being able to download such at any reasonable speed. Remember we were at about 2400 baud, and if you were VERY lucky, 9.6k or even 14.4k baud. But, I was stuck at 2400 baud until late 1993 (230 bytes per second at Y-modem g).

Downloading a whole 360k floppy at 2400 bps was *painful*, so I opted to pay the $2-$4 to just have a floppy sent to me instead. It was worth it... And I that's how I ended up with "Prostyle" by Midnight Oil Productions back 30 years ago. Now, seemingly completely lost to the sands of time -- and my hard drive crash of ~20 years ago. God knows where my original 360k 5.25" floppy got to (except the rubbish bin).