VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JToto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everyone,

I got an old notebook (Toshiba Satellite 210cs). It runs perfectly and I was able to install Windows 95 without any problems.

Now I tried to install "Siedler 2" from CD. The installation worked. When I start the game, an introductory video opens first. The real game should then open. Instead, the game crashes and the DOS console says:

"outer main loop: selected screen mode not avail!!"

This error can already be found here: Siedler 2/Setllers 2

Unfortunately I can't find a solution to my problem there.

I tried installing the UniVBE that came with the CD, but that didn't seem to have any effect.

The graphics driver is "C&T 65554 SVGA Driver". The resolution is 1024x768 with 16bit colors. Unfortunately, changing the resolution doesn't work either.

Does anyone have an idea, or is it failing because the graphics card may not support VESA?

Thank you in advance!

Reply 2 of 4, by akallio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You might also try the SciTech Display Doctor to see if that will get it going.

(Edit by Dominus: removed link to questionable page with download and serial)

Last edited by Dominus on 2023-05-01, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link to questionable page with download and serial

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd argue against Scitech Display Doctor when it comes to C&T's mobile chips. you'll just corrupt the display in windows and potentially cause a hardlock. It does enable LFB writes which do make it faster, but that aforementioned risk makes it not worth it.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the DOS version of SDD can be installed and the game can run in MS-DOS mode thru a PIF shortcut containing a custom AUTOEXEC.BAT setting. Older versions (which are more reliable with older video chips) can be found at the following thread: VESA Fix Utility Listing (for old video cards)

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS