VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As soon as i start memmaker, the cdrom driver no longer recognizes my cd player. It doesn't matter if I connected it to my motherboard or my creative awe 32 ct3900. I am using dos 6.22
Only when I remove memmaker again does it malfunction the CD-ROM player again. I use this SBIDE.SYS driver when it is connected to the creative awe 32 and on the motherboard I use the teac dos driver
What does memmaker do with my cdrom player, so that it is no longer recognized by the driver.

This is my cd-rom drive TEAC CD-W58E 8x8x32

This is my pc

Am5x86 133mhz
ASUS pvi-486sp3 ver 1.22
S3 virgin DX 4mb
(2x16) 60ns 32mb fpm
Creative awe 32 ct3900
3Com EtherLink III 3C509B-TPO
Maxtor 6E030L0 7200RPM 2MB cache
TEAC CD-W58E 8x8x32
be quiet! SFX L Power 600W PSU

Reply 1 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
egbertjan wrote on 2022-12-31, 22:59:
As soon as i start memmaker, the cdrom driver no longer recognizes my cd player. It doesn't matter if I connected it to my mothe […]
Show full quote

As soon as i start memmaker, the cdrom driver no longer recognizes my cd player. It doesn't matter if I connected it to my motherboard or my creative awe 32 ct3900. I am using dos 6.22
Only when I remove memmaker again does it malfunction the CD-ROM player again. I use this SBIDE.SYS driver when it is connected to the creative awe 32 and on the motherboard I use the teac dos driver
What does memmaker do with my cdrom player, so that it is no longer recognized by the driver.

This is my pc

Am5x86 133mhz
ASUS pvi-486sp3 ver 1.22
S3 virgin DX 4mb
(2x16) 60ns 32mb fpm
Creative awe 32 ct3900
TEAC CD-W58E 8x8x32

What do you mean by "remove memmaker" ? Memmaker is not normally a memory resident application. Once it has done its job monitoring the boot process and generating an optimized config.sys and autoexec.bat it no longer runs.

Do you mean that using the optimized config.sys and autoexec.bat that Memmaker generates break CDROM functionality and you need to revert these files to the previous versions ?

Reply 2 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the CD driver and/or MSCDEX gets loaded with the optimized CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT created by MEMMAKER?

darry wrote on 2022-12-31, 23:17:

What do you mean by "remove memmaker" ?

I think the OP means that the changes were reverted. Apparently, his English isn't good enough given the "malfunction" word. 😜

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the past, I had similar issues with videcdd.sys, if being loaded high in config.sys.
Can't remember oakcdrom.sys to be causing any trouble by comparison, despite being more feature-complete than videcdd.sys.

MSCDEX itself is merely an NS-DOS extension, it doesn't perform anything like DMA etc.
So I think changing DEVICEHIGH= into DEVICE= may get sbide.sys funtioning again.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Posting config.sys and autoxec.bat before and after running memmaker would help to see if it did something obviously wrong

Reply 5 of 9, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
As soon as i start memmaker, the cdrom driver no longer recognizes my cd player. It doesn't matter if I connected it to my mothe […]
Show full quote

This is my pc

Am5x86 133mhz
ASUS pvi-486sp3 ver 1.22
S3 virgin DX 4mb
(2x16) 60ns 32mb fpm
Creative awe 32 ct3900
TEAC CD-W58E 8x8x32

What do you mean by "remove memmaker" ? Memmaker is not normally a memory resident application. Once it has done its job monitoring the boot process and generating an optimized config.sys and autoexec.bat it no longer runs.

Do you mean that using the optimized config.sys and autoexec.bat that Memmaker generates break CDROM functionality and you need to revert these files to the previous versions ?

You are right, Memmaker is not resident. The situation is that before using Memmaker the CD-Player gets installed and works well. Than I use Memmaker and after that the CD-Player cann't be found. When I undo Memmaker the CD-Player still is not found. I also tried Memmaker without loading the CD-driver high. That gave the same disappointing result.

Reply 6 of 9, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
egbertjan wrote on 2023-01-01, 13:32:
Show full quote

This is my pc

Am5x86 133mhz
ASUS pvi-486sp3 ver 1.22
S3 virgin DX 4mb
(2x16) 60ns 32mb fpm
Creative awe 32 ct3900
TEAC CD-W58E 8x8x32

You are right, Memmaker is not resident. The situation is that before using Memmaker the CD-Player gets installed and works well. Than I use Memmaker and after that the CD-Player cann't be found. When I undo Memmaker the CD-Player still is not found. I also tried Memmaker without loading the CD-driver high. That gave the same disappointing result.

In the meantime I tried the same with another CD-ROM drive. The result was the same. Next thing I did was using QEMM 9.0 instead of Memmaker. That solved the problem, but another problem came than: not all the usual games run, p.e. Need for Speed. What should I do to get a good running machine without the problems I described. Does anybody know wether I have perhaps to update the BIOS from 3.06 to 3.07?

Reply 7 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does loading the CD drive with OAKCDROM.SYS help? It is the most compatible one, but it consumes more memory.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 8 of 9, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-03, 14:03:

Does loading the CD drive with OAKCDROM.SYS help? It is the most compatible one, but it consumes more memory.

I did indeed try OAKCDROM.SYS, but it had exactly the same trouble with Memmaker.

Reply 9 of 9, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since MEMMAKER mainly helps creating configurations involving EMM386 (protected mode) I wonder what might be causing the CD not to function in such state.

Which options did you choose in MEMMAKER? I once had a Pentium(586) based board and MEMMAKER worked for all options except HIGHSCAN. Theoretically it should also work fine on a 486.

For a start you can just use the default settings, with or without EMS. Just that you'll have access to more UMB if not using EMS.

On the other hand, you said your CD drive works with QEMM 9.0 instead of EMM386... maybe you can try JEMM386/JEMMEx just in case to see if MS-DOS 6.22's EMM386 is indeed related to your issue to some extent.

NOTE: QEMM as well as JEMM are not 100% compatible with MS EMM386, so there may be cases where things don't work correctly as they depend on features exclusive to MS EMM386.