VOGONS

Common searches

Old cd roms

Topic actions

First post, by dcs11173

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am on the hunt for an old mitsumi interface cd rom. While researching, I wondered if someone had already created a list of all the drives that used the old mitsumi, panasonic, and Sony interfaces.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not aware of such a list but may exist in the 3DO community which relies on the Mitsumi type drives.
I'd be wary of such drives though. They have trouble reading most CD-R's and being around 30 years old finding a working drive will be tricky.

I do have a soft spot for them though, The Creative 2x that came in my first PC is still fitted. Doesn't work, Even back when it was a daily PC it was on the way out and could only read Audio CD's, but hey it looked cool!

Reply 2 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Mitsumi Lu005 single-speed CD-ROM drive was surprisingly compatible with non-standard CD-ROMs.

Back in the 90s/early 2000s, it could read multi-session and mixed-mode CD-ROMs
which the Sony (?) CD-ROM drive (SCSI) that shipped with my PAS16 multimedia kit couldn't read.

I wonder how good it can CD-Rs.. If I only had the time and space to set it up.
There's still at least one 005s in the house, stored away in a card board box along with its controller card.

Speaking of, there are two controller cards or interface types.
One uses DMA, the other one uses PIO.
The CD-ROM itsel supports both, of course.
The driver diskette contained two versions of the driver, too.

If you ever connect use a third-party ribbon cable, make sure it's an 1:1, 40 conductor cable.
Those can be universally used, if memory serves.
Don't use an 80 conductor cable, it shorts at least one pin for 80 conductor detecting.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 4, by Vic Zarratt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The mitsumi lu005 was also sold as the lu002. there was also an external parallel port model for which i have an old magazine ad cutout somewhere... I call them all "wafflemakers"

I manage a pot-pourri of video matter...

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vic Zarratt wrote on 2023-01-19, 05:07:

The mitsumi lu005 was also sold as the lu002. there was also an external parallel port model for which i have an old magazine ad cutout somewhere... I call them all "wafflemakers"

Cool, I didn't know this! Thanks for the info!
Also like the terms "wafflemakers". It's fluffy, it sounds friendly and it fits. 😃👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//