VOGONS

Common searches

Game Test Notes: Beneath a Steel Sky

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

BASS would not save games under Windows 98SE (exit with error). It has also crashed with error in Windows after changing rooms from a loaded saved game.

The MIDI is off-key in Windows, most likely due to the sound card and not the game. 😀

(Relevant, not thorough) Information on this system:

Dell Inspiron 5000
BIOS Revision A08
Intel Celeron 450MHz
Windows 98SE (4.10.2222)
ATi RAGE MOBILITY-P
Lucent LT Win Modem (onboard)
ESS Technology Maestro 2E (onboard)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 12, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin

Small mention here, btw, that Revolution has sent the ScummVM team the BASS sourcecode :)

It'll probably be months and months away (the original source is still pure assembly, so hard to read)... but eventually we'll probably have a BASS mode (and maybe a Lure mode after that) along with our SCUMM and Simon modes.

It's nice to see a company actually willing to let us clone their engine for future generations to enjoy :)

-- Ender
Project Leader,
http://www.scummvm.org/

Reply 4 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender Small mention here, btw, that Revolution has sent the ScummVM team the BASS sourcecode

Well that's surprising considering that the response they gave me was that it was no longer available and a new PC version would probably have to be from modified GameBoy code:
http://www.georgestobbart.com/nu_forum/_forum … neuron=1&page=3

In the "Beneath a Steel Sky" thread...

Reply 5 of 12, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin
Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut Well that's surprising considering that the response they gave me was that it was no longer […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
Well that's surprising considering that the response they gave me was that it was no longer available and a new PC version would probably have to be from modified GameBoy code:
http://www.georgestobbart.com/nu_forum/_forum … neuron=1&page=3

In the "Beneath a Steel Sky" thread...

Erm, Tony said quite specifically that they still had the source :)

"We have the sources but there would be lots of work to reorganise the resources.".

Which is the main reason they gave it to us, as we happen to have some experience with turning fairly obscenely written assembly into a workable engine *g*. But I think there was a misunderstanding in that thread. You started off by saying "re-release utilitising for Win32 utilitising [ed: huh? :] 24-bit video...".. you also refer quite often in that thread about mixing game data from one version with another.

Obviously changing the video to 24-bit, as in the actual IN-GAME GRAPHICS, or altering any other aspect... would require rewriting the resource files and the original game data. This is a hell of a lot of work, and would require much adjustment in the engine and scripts - thus Tony's answer that it would take a lot of work to do so.

Anyway, we're simply going to - at some stage, our name IS scummvm and SCUMM is our first priority :) - take the source and tear it apart using it for a reference. From this we will write a new emulator module which will run the ORIGINAL bass game-data. This is still a lot of work, sure, but we arn't a commercial company working on a budget... we're just a bunch of fans with too much technical expertise and spare time :)

-- Ender
Project Leader,

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender Erm, Tony said quite specifically that they still had the source "We have the sources but there would be lots of work to reorganise the resources.".

*cringe* You respond too fast. I was going through 2.5 days worth of posts all-at-once, so I screwed that up. Actually, there were a few other flubs. Sometimes my hands apparently decide that they just don't feel like typing what my brain says...

At least part of the confusion came from his initial statement that it would:
require reverse engineering then re-implementing.

The bewildering part is why on earth would using GameBoy code and essentially re-progamming the whole game be a better alternative?

You started off by saying "re-release utilitising for Win32 utilitising [ed: huh? :] 24-bit video..."

Yes, yes. That should have read:
re-release for Win32 utilizing 24-bit video and Wavetable (MIDI) support
. Typos...

you also refer quite often in that thread about mixing game data from one version with another.

Obviously changing the video to 24-bit, as in the actual IN-GAME GRAPHICS, or altering any other aspect... would require rewriting the resource files and the original game data. This is a hell of a lot of work,

Well, that would depend a lot on how it was programmed in the first place. I'm no programmer, buy I know that languages like C will allow a certain amount of "modularity" where a portion of the code can be replaced (IE: increasing the depth limit for background images) without breaking the remaining code.

Was Revolution actually using some form of assembly? If that's the case, I can't see how a stable port can be done.

we're just a bunch of fans with too much technical expertise and spare time

Understood. Same here,...just less of each. *eyes dart around* Speaking only for myself here...

Reply 7 of 12, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin
Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut The bewildering part is why on earth would using GameBoy code and essentially re-progamming […]
Show full quote

The bewildering part is why on earth would using GameBoy code and essentially re-progamming the whole game be a better alternative?

*snip
Was Revolution actually using some form of assembly? If that's the case, I can't see how a stable port can be done.

Exactly. The BASS engine is 99% direct assembly. Which means yes, re-programming it WOULD be a better alternative, hence why we've got the code :) (It's also kind of one of the reasons it's so unpredictable under newer Windows versions...)

-- Ender
Project Leader,

Reply 8 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender Exactly. The BASS engine is 99% direct assembly.

Holy cow! Talk about doing things the hard way. I'm stunned they would do it that way. How were they able to work on both the Amiga and PC versions simultaneously without any shared code at all?

I half-expect you to tell me they carved their own IC chips out of wood.

What happens if someone gets it to run on a PC emulator before you complete re-writing it for ScummVM?

Reply 9 of 12, by Ender

User metadata
Rank Site Admin
Rank
Site Admin

Holy cow! Talk about doing things the hard way. I'm stunned they would do it that way. How were they able to work on both the Amiga and PC versions simultaneously without any shared code at all?

I honestly have no idea, it's intresting isn't it? Given they'd have to have two completely different x86 and 68k source trees..

What happens if someone gets it to run on a PC emulator before you complete re-writing it for ScummVM?

Erm, huh? Nothing, why? Heck, I could fire up Bochs or UAE and run it now. Most of the SCUMM games run under vdmsound (with tweaking), so why does that matter? :)

-- Ender
Project Leader,

Reply 10 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Ender Erm, huh? Nothing, why? Heck, I could fire up Bochs or UAE and run it now. Most of the SCUMM games run under vdmsound (with tweaking),...

*ack* You're a masochist. I meant the PC-CD version (although the CD32 version is quite good). I've been unable to get it running on Bochs because it claims that the CD is empty (!!). Haven't tried any "ripped" versions as of yet. And Bochs (the Win32 version anyway) is still a pain to set up and configure.

The reason I asked is that if there's a game version that runs properly, that's what I'll usually recommend unless there is an easy fix (Warcraft II DOS vs. Warcraft II Battle.Net Edition for example).

Reply 11 of 12, by Dark-Star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm...I've got ScummVM running BASS and it worked fine start to finish on everything. Wierd.

Oh, BTW: is there anywhere I can download the 'comic book' that came with the game? I once saw a digital scan of it but forgot to write down the site. (Stupid me!)

Oh, has anyone gotten the music off of the game in one way or another - MIDI's would be best...

Give us a 640 x 480 screen, 256 colors, some time, and my own imagination...and we can *still* make exciting and beautiful games for decades to come.