VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Refuses to run. Period. MIDI plays a few notes and then locks up the system complely (requires me to remove the battery and disconnect A/C power). This behaviour manifests itself in both pure DOS and a DOS shell, with or without the patch available on Patches Scrolls.

Conversely (as a side-note), the 11th Hour runs fine (although transitions and movies without audio move extremely fast) in both Windows and pure DOS.

(Relevant, not thorough) Information on this system:

Dell Inspiron 5000
BIOS Revision A08
Intel Celeron 450MHz
Windows 98SE (4.10.2222)
ATi RAGE MOBILITY-P
Lucent LT Win Modem (onboard)
ESS Technology Maestro 2E (onboard)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 12, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I had to guess (and I do since I have no clue what I'm talking about), I'd say it sounds like a problem with the sound card's SB emulation. Maybe reconfiguring the sound card, or an updated Win98 driver, would solve the problem. If you want to keep testing, I do have ONE suggestion. Keep the case off. It will be easier to remove the batteries again when things go wrong.😀

Reply 4 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll try the Win9x VDMSound.. not sure it's a sound card problem, though. And, what the hell are you talking about, keeping the case off? What kind of laptop do YOU have? heh

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, I tried the Win9x version of VDMSound. When I tried using SB16, or SBPro, the game told me that it couldn't find a pcm card at that address. (Which, of course, is true, since there isn't any actual hardware there, but y'know, that's not supposed to happen.) When I tried "Sound Blaster or Compatible" it worked -- at least, I didn't get the error message -- the computer just froze as usual. So, I guess we've ruled that one out.

I've been playing T7G using the Windows interpreter and, aside from there being lipsynch issues, and the inability to multitask (it does a 'boom' on my carpet), it seems to be generally stable and runs quite well on this meager processor. (Wish I could say the same about it on really beefy CPUs like the one I've got in my main box.) So, now, I need someone to tell me HOW THE FUCK TO WIN THE MICROSCOPE GAME! It's driving me insane! I can always see what moves the computer is going to make beforehand, but I can't do anything to prevent them. It's maddening, and the computer is too perfect -- it never makes a mistake!! Agh! Just some strategy, please!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 12, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you post the saved microscope puzzle. Many years ago, I had advanced to it. My hard drive with the saved games died (a wonderful metallic sound) before I could solve it (assuming I would have ever been able to). Too bad I don't usually back up saved games. I never felt like solving all the puzzle again, or dealing with the cheats, to return to that puzzle.

Reply 8 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No problem. I've attached it. It'd be nice if someone could give me some information on how to win at it, though, since it doesn't seem possible.

Oh, ignore the name of the saved game. I was feeling particularly witty or something.

(What cheats?)

Attachments

• Filename
    st7g.zip
    File size
    212 Bytes
    Downloads
    270 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 12, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. At one time, I had a walkthrough around for this game. I'll look for it. I seem to recall that the microscope puzzle does not not have a set solution, since the initial arrangement always differs. I think the advice of the walkthrough was to keep plugging away. Not the answer you want.

Reply 12 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been there, done that. I've already got the UHS Reader and all UHS files available.

As a note: UHS 5 is a joke. There is shit+1 new about it and is NOT worth the $$ to upgrade from 4.x. Just thought I'd let you know. 😜

EDELBEB: I've attached a new saved game with everything except attic puzzles and the lab finished. (At least, I think that's what's done.) I can't seem to access the final Attic puzzles, despite being told that it isn't necessary to finish the microscope. 😒
Please try to win the microscope on this saved game instead. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    st7g.zip
    File size
    212 Bytes
    Downloads
    244 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.