VOGONS

Common searches

How do you run CD games on a real dos computer?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i have a dos rip of a game , looks like a bin file

is there a special way to run these at the dos prompt besides burning them to a CD?

I noticed speech in games will not work or any digital sounds..

Reply 5 of 17, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

> besides burning them to a CD

Just use the CD you made the image of in the first place? Which of course you have available - You wouldn't pirate software, now would you?

> convert the image to ISO

...in the process losing any audio tracks that may be present. Whether that's applicable/an issue depends on the game.

Reply 6 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elszgensa wrote on 2023-04-21, 13:43:

...in the process losing any audio tracks that may be present. Whether that's applicable/an issue depends on the game.

This was my same thought.
You'd be surprised how common this is.

In the past years, I had a big problem explaining the concept of disk/disc images to people I knew.
The #1 issue was that people wanted to use "ISOs", but with multiple tracks, which isn't exactly possible.

The last person asking was just 2 days ago.
I tried to convince that person to use NRG, CDR or CUE/BIN format and use a virtual CD-ROM, MagicISO (on Windows).

In the 90s/early 2000s, the same issue existed with floppy drives.
The people had no idea what an image was, that bootable disks require a boot sector (on PC), that diskettes have a LABEL that installers may check etc etc.

Many times, disk images (*.DSK, as used by OS/2 setup) were simply copied to the diskette.
Their content wasn't being written to, no. The image file had been placed on diskette.

Sometimes I got the message by those people that my tip didn't work and I was wrong, because the floppy lacked the necessary space.
Sure, if the image used was used to full extent and was uncompressed. There was no extra space for the container anymore (imagine file). *sigh*

Anyway, that's just my story, it's not directly related to this thread (no offense).
The OP is clearly much more of an advanced user, everything works except audio.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 17, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Furthermore, SHSUCDHD doesn't support CD audio playback.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 10 of 17, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-21, 08:32:

You can mount images in DOS with SHSUCD https://github.com/adoxa/shsucd

You will need to convert the image to ISO though.

This may be the solution. I am trying to run Might and Magic World of XEEN. Looks like there is a folder named "CD" and contains two .image aka "disc image file" where the speech would be located.

I guess i can also mount these? Or would they need to be converted to ISO?

Reply 11 of 17, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
> besides burning them to a CD […]
Show full quote

> besides burning them to a CD

Just use the CD you made the image of in the first place? Which of course you have available - You wouldn't pirate software, now would you?

not even going to respond to this

Reply 12 of 17, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-21, 21:21:

Yep, it depends on the games you're running. For what I run on my DOS rig it's a killer tool. Whether it's useful for OP would require more information.

what if i just extract the .IMG files where they reside in the CD folder?

Reply 13 of 17, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unrealcpu wrote on 2023-04-22, 05:22:
Pierre32 wrote on 2023-04-21, 21:21:

Yep, it depends on the games you're running. For what I run on my DOS rig it's a killer tool. Whether it's useful for OP would require more information.

what if i just extract the .IMG files where they reside in the CD folder?

All I can advise with regard to SHSUCD is that it requires your disc image to be in ISO format.

Reply 15 of 17, by gen_angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just burn all my DOS/early Win95 CDs for the Pentium rig. You get music and it works properly without the need for a TSR taking up resources.

DOS machines don't have that much power as is, why give them an extra complex task like mounting a CD image?

Reply 16 of 17, by Unrealcpu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gen_angry wrote on 2023-04-22, 10:11:

I just burn all my DOS/early Win95 CDs for the Pentium rig. You get music and it works properly without the need for a TSR taking up resources.

DOS machines don't have that much power as is, why give them an extra complex task like mounting a CD image?

it almost seems more convenient to just do that since games dont really take up a whole lot of space, one could just put a bunch of cd based games in a physical cd player and just run them with the cd cable connected to the sound card?

you still need to have the cd-r0m driver loaded i guess correct?
i am going to test it here soon