VOGONS

Common searches

Running Ripper under XP

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by WestVa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried to install Ripper for a few years now under Win95 and Win98 with no success. Now that I have XP, I've finally managed to install the game. There's one problem though. The sound skips when the characters are speaking and it's impossible to understand what they are saying. The background music is fine. Blue Oyster Cult sounds great.

I'm very limited in my knowledge when it comes to these types of problems. I've tried installing the patch, ran Turbo, reduced hardware acceleration, and ran the XP compatibility wizard. Nothing helped.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been dying to play this game for years. TIA

Pentium4 2.40 GHz
256 MB RAM
64MB Nvidia GeForce Ti4200
Creative SB Live
Windows XP Service Pack 1

Reply 2 of 10, by WestVa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the link. I read everything there, but it doesn't help. I don't have the same problem. The game runs fine and doesn't crash. It's just the audio. I've tried it both with and without the patch.

I normally don't like games that display the text, but I sure wish this one did.

Thanks for trying to help. I haven't given up yet. 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by WestVa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I didn't read your message correctly. I just tried reinstalling using SBPro, not 16, and used IRQ7 instead of 5. When I tested it with those settings, I got the following message:

DMA has stopped. This is usually due to an incorrect IRQ setting. . .

Still stumped. 😕

Reply 6 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay.
Okay okay.
Okay.
*sigh*

Step 1: Get VDMSound.
Step 2: Get update1 for VDMSound.
Step 3: Get VDMSound Launchpad.
Step 4: Install VDMSound.
Step 5: Overwrite the files in the VDMSound directory with the ones in update1.
Step 6: Extract the files in the VDMS Launchpad to the VDMS directory and run INSTALL.BAT.
Step 7: Find Ripper's setup program, right-click on it, and choose the "Run with VDMS" that does NOT have the musical notes icon.
Step 8: Set up Ripper using a Sound Blaster 16 on address 220h, IRQ 7, DMA 1, and Hi-DMA 5.
Step 8: Find the Ripper executable, right-click on it, and choose the "Run with VDMS" that does NOT have the musical notes icon.
Step 9: Play and enjoy. Remember that you need to select "Run with VDMS" every time.

Optionally, you can tinker with the various settings using the "Run with VDMS" option that has the musical notes icon next to it. This will also create a .VLP alias that you can use to run the game every time with the same settings without needing to reconfigure or right-click the executable.

If it STILL doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, it’s my fault.