VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by duffy1807

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys, I hope to find a solution here .
I am not very computer literate please bare that in mind for any responses it would be appreciated.

4dos primary folder is : C:\4dos\

Example
When I type :
Shift & 2 = @ instead of "
Shift & 3 = # instead of £
I am trying to change this is UK keyboard, From my research please correct me if I am wrong , this is to do with editing the files in directory Windows/System32 Autoexec.nt and Config.nt ?

Can any one help with how to do this please?

AUTOEXEC.NT
I have appended in the Autoexec.nt file
keyb UK,,c:\4dos\keyboard.sys
However in the 4dos folder, their is no keyboard.sys , only in the WIndows/System32 folder? should the appended line read ?
keyb UK,,c:\WIndows\System32\keyboard.sys

Do I need to copy keyboard.sys or any other files to the 4dos folder? Am sorry I am clueless ...

when in 4dos, the KEYB command returned unknown, but all other commands work as normal? is the 4dos installation corrupted?

any help is greatly appreciated. thank you
craig

Reply 1 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

The computer is running a NT-based Windows version which isn't real DOS and has slightly different commands. KB16 is the one that you should use for setting the keyboard layout in DOS applications.

BTW, use 4NT/TCC instead of 4DOS if you can.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 4, by duffy1807

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your response guys.

Okay, So KB16 command gives an error :

"KEYB has not been installed
Active code page not available from CON device"

I've searched google, which gives 1 foreign website

and its running windows XP , MS-DOS version 5.50, 4DOS 5.0

am clueless on how to "properly" update these or change them. Am just trying to help a friend of mine who runs old programmes . I just running an SFC /Scanow to ensure no missing files are the problem.