VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vespirah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need help looking for a laptop to play Daggerfall on which will be a dos only laptop is the main objective here yes I know about dosbox but I'd really like to play it legitimately the old fashioned way

Things I have
New media wavjammer pcmcia that's complete and I believe daggerfall has wavjammer support
A legitimate retail copy of daggerfall

So the system needs a pcmcia slot that's compliant with type 1 pcmcia cards I want to keep it in all the time I don't want to swap it for pcmcia cdrom or floppy
Which has both 3.5" floppy drive
and a cdrom drive internally also a tft lcd screen and I really want good crisp visuals I don't want black borders
So hopefully screen stretching could be optional
It's overkill but I would love a mmx cpu

Reply 2 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your requirements can be met by a good decade or so of laptops, so there will be plenty to choose from. IMO it's going to come down to your expectations out of the display (with regard to scaling / stretching).

This long read contains a mountain of research and reviews: The quest for the perfect retro laptop: a saga

Reply 3 of 4, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't bind myself to the Wavjammer. I couldn't make it work with any game that claims to support it. The music(FM) part which is Adlib compatible works, but the digital sound doesn't.
I'd recommend to look for an early pentium laptop that has bult in sound. You still can try the wavjammer on it. But if it doesn't work then you'll still be able to play your games on it.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 4 of 4, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-04-30, 01:28:

It's a waste of time to play Daggerfall in any way other than Daggerfall Unity. That's the only way you're going to get the best Daggerfall experience possible.

I strongly support this opinion. The original is way too buggy - you can soft lock yourself in the main story way too easily. And that's a shame since it's so well written. Quite possibly the very best main story of any Elder Scrolls game ! - and its potential is wasted.

The only Dagerfall experience you should consider in any way is the Unity version. Seriously.