VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do i get sound effects on monkey island 1 and 2.....i already have music...but not sound....

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 1 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 already have music...but not sound....

Then you already have the sound. There was no digital audio on the first two Monkey Island's

They were written when PC sound cards were a new thing. Even the Amiga and AtariST ports were music-only. (Occasionally, the FM audio was used to generate sound effects, but they weren't very good at that)

Reply 2 of 14, by maYO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps you've selected MIDI Music.
AFAIK when MIDI is selected the sound effects are turned off.
Try starting the MONKEY.EXE with the parameter /? or -?
You'll get a list of command-line options with which you can select the sound output manually.

Hint:
Try the ScummVM!
Get it here

DOSBoxGui - multi platform DOSBox frontend

check my weblog (german only)

Reply 3 of 14, by Jumjalum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is some sound in MI2 like the spitting contest or the spitting guy in the bar in Woodtick, mostly spitting noises really 😉 If you're not sure then set up a batch file that says "monkey2 s" and it'll work if its going to (the s is for soundblaster).

Reply 4 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by maYO Perhaps you've selected MIDI Music.

That's probably what has happened. They used the FM (AdLib) audio to generate sound effects, like I said. If he's chosen MIDI, the "effects" are probably still played, it's just that they will sound like a musical instrument playing a series of notes instead of a "sound".

Reply 5 of 14, by kukus444

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okokok...so you really mean that i doesnt have to have sound on MI1 and MI2, because there aint any sound effects, hehe just on the spitting contest as you above here said??but, my friend have an old amiga 500...and he have MI1 on it and then i heared, at the beginning on the game, when you enter the scummbar, it.......WAS A DOORSOUND:eek: !!! and in the church, there was real music.....on my computer, i only have som stupid blip blops that just blips, it is 1b/ps (one blip per second 😁).....so do you have anything to say about this??
bwahahaahaahahaah.....*ahem* sorry, i have been infected by the murray laugh hehe.....you know, the skeleton head in MI3 and MI4.....and one more thing.....it is just blip blops in the church...not in the rest of the game..there, it is real music....
(hehe, my grammar is pretty bad, isnt it?)

- Kukus444 has spoken!

Reply 6 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 ...really mean that i doesnt have to have sound on MI1 and MI2, because there aint any sound effects,

The 1st "Monkey Island" didn't have SoundBlaster support, meaning there was no digital audio effects. The FM (AdLib) audio was used to create the sound effects. "Monkey Island 2" supported SoundBlaster, so it probably did have digital audio effects.

my friend have an old Amiga 500...and he have MI1 on it and then i heard, at the beginning on the game, when you enter the scummbar, it.......WAS A DOORSOUND:eek: !!!

Yes, and you can read all about it in my new book, "Why I got the Amiga 500 instead of a 'PC' in 1988"

In other words, the Amiga version is probably better to play than the PC version (audiowise, anyway). I know there was a VGA version released (CD-only?), but there was precious little difference in the graphics and AFAIK, no audio enhancements like digital audio.

As I understand it, "Monkey Island 2" made much better use of the 256 color palette and SoundBlaster audio (although some insist that the Amiga audio was still better even though there was less of it).

I never got beyond the 1st game, as the "Real World" was starting to take over my life at the time.

Reply 9 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by kukus444 Okay.....but where can i get your book?? it seems to be an intresting subject...

You will usually find it on the shelf, right next to my other book: "Why humor usually does not survive while being translated to another language"

Reply 13 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

??? I don't see anything wrong. We can delete it if you want but it's nothing to get all worried over.

/DosFreak goes back to adding the post to his Sig.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline