VOGONS

Common searches

Heretic in 640x480?

Topic actions

First post, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any chance of upscaling the original game in that resolution?

I don't want to use a source port, i need the original for playing it in retroarch with a shader that i love, i can do it with doom, doom 2 and hexen with the windows 95 version of these games but heretic doesn't have the a win 95 version

Reply 2 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No there's no official 640x480 Heretic. Heretic95 never happened. Heretic for Mac never happened.

dontbugster wrote on 2023-07-18, 06:30:

You could check the chocolate version

Chocolate is a strict 320x200 buffer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 26, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With 3D/Acc:
e.g.
GLheretic 512x384 up to ?
Doomsday egine (very nice with addons like hirestex)

Without 3D/acc
WINhertetic 640x480 strict fullscreen, in window perhaps more or less.

I always keep the original monsters, the 3D monsters are very ugly.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 5 of 26, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-18, 08:10:
With 3D/Acc: e.g. GLheretic 512x384 up to ? Doomsday egine (very nice with addons like hirestex) […]
Show full quote

With 3D/Acc:
e.g.
GLheretic 512x384 up to ?
Doomsday egine (very nice with addons like hirestex)

Without 3D/acc
WINhertetic 640x480 strict fullscreen, in window perhaps more or less.

I always keep the original monsters, the 3D monsters are very ugly.

Azarien wrote on 2023-07-18, 15:24:
leileilol wrote on 2023-07-18, 07:13:

Chocolate is a strict 320x200 buffer.

There's Crispy DOOM (DOOM II/Heretic/Hexen) that is Chocolate's fork and it works in 640x400 by default.

but those are source ports, they doesn't work in DOS for running them in retroarch

Reply 6 of 26, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2023-07-18, 19:15:

but those are source ports, they doesn't work in DOS for running them in retroarch

If you want a DOS game that plays Heretic, and is no source port. Then there is only one game: The original Heretic for DOS. And it is limited to 320x200 resolution.

AFAIK there is currently one DOS game that has unfinished Heretic support + higher resolution support. It is a source port of course. The Eternity Engine v3.31 Beta 7. File: ee331b7-dos.zip. Dated 04-2004.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom Legacy also does DOS, steals abrash's video code from quake's old source leak implements high resolutions, and supports Heretic, but there's legacy cruft of course (bloodsplats etc)

(I forget the state of Legacy's Heretic support)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 26, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2023-07-18, 20:36:

Doom Legacy also does DOS, steals abrash's video code from quake's old source leak implements high resolutions, and supports Heretic, but there's legacy cruft of course (bloodsplats etc)

It seems DOS isn't supported anymore. Only older versions (pre 1.42) still have DOS builds.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 9 of 26, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2023-07-18, 21:37:
leileilol wrote on 2023-07-18, 20:36:

It seems DOS isn't supported anymore. Only older versions (pre 1.42) still have DOS builds.

i put the 1.41 version in the heretic folder but i don't understand how can i execute the game...

Reply 10 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
|    Yes! Legacy now can handle heretic.wad as a main wad file, so stating 
| legacy with heretic.wad in same directory or launching it with "-iwad
| heretic.wad" this set legacy in 'heretic state'.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 26, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2023-07-20, 02:06:

it says: load error no DPMI - get csdpmi*b.zip

wtf 😮

It means that it needs a DPMI server to run, which is CWSDPMI. It can be obtained here: http://sandmann.dotster.com/cwsdpmi/

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 13 of 26, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why don't you want to use a source port?

If it's because you can't run shaders there's Magpie and ShaderGlass. There's also ReShade, though that isn't suited for upscaling shaders.

Is it because they're inaccurate? Because I have some news for you about Doom95 and Hexen95 then... Especially playing at 640x480, which I believe those ports do not support properly and you don't actually want anyway. See Doom's 2D UI elements are made for 320x200, there is no clean way to scale that to 640x480. You can render the "3D" parts of the game in a different resolution, but the UI and weapon sprites will either look bad or have the wrong aspect ratio.

I recommend you find a modern source port that supports 640x400 and use Magpie or ShaderGlass for whatever shaders you want. I seem to recall having some issues with Doom Legacy and I would guess it's going to be a worse experience than a modern port though at the end of the day it's still the same game.

Reply 14 of 26, by ReignerDeustcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-07-20, 04:31:
ReignerDeustcher wrote on 2023-07-20, 02:06:

it says: load error no DPMI - get csdpmi*b.zip

wtf 😮

It means that it needs a DPMI server to run, which is CWSDPMI. It can be obtained here: http://sandmann.dotster.com/cwsdpmi/

it wooorksss!! thankss 😄

ZellSF wrote on 2023-07-20, 08:00:
Why don't you want to use a source port? […]
Show full quote

Why don't you want to use a source port?

If it's because you can't run shaders there's Magpie and ShaderGlass. There's also ReShade, though that isn't suited for upscaling shaders.

Is it because they're inaccurate? Because I have some news for you about Doom95 and Hexen95 then... Especially playing at 640x480, which I believe those ports do not support properly and you don't actually want anyway. See Doom's 2D UI elements are made for 320x200, there is no clean way to scale that to 640x480. You can render the "3D" parts of the game in a different resolution, but the UI and weapon sprites will either look bad or have the wrong aspect ratio.

I recommend you find a modern source port that supports 640x400 and use Magpie or ShaderGlass for whatever shaders you want. I seem to recall having some issues with Doom Legacy and I would guess it's going to be a worse experience than a modern port though at the end of the day it's still the same game.

because i want to use scalefx-aa-fast, is the best shader that i saw for old games, enhances the colors and smoothes all the edges, it's awesome and you can find it only in retroarch

Reply 16 of 26, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Mac version is just yet another source port (MacintoshR********y has more info - "This unofficial 1999 port by Brad Oliver..."). And RetroArch doesn't have a core for it so it wouldn't be of use to OP anyways.

Reply 17 of 26, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2023-07-21, 10:19:

The Mac version is just yet another source port (MacintoshR********y has more info - "This unofficial 1999 port by Brad Oliver..."). And RetroArch doesn't have a core for it so it wouldn't be of use to OP anyways.

sure?
https://web.archive.org/web/20090818202405/ht … xmid=7&xmview=2

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 19 of 26, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies if the bump is no longer relevant, but I have myself just found out Legacy runs Heretic very smoothly in VESA resolutions.
I was using 1.4.0 DOS build but in 1024x768 and it worked superb, I only noticed the lighting was somewhat brighter than in the original, especially noticeable at higher resolutions, even with brightness at minimum, but overall Legacy turned out to be such a cool port, playing Heretic with it is a pleasure (as is Doom by the way). It does not seem to support Heretic demos, though. And it seems that by the time Hexen support was complete DOS version was no longer maintained.

Alternatively I tried HeXetic build available on the Internet Archive and it was able to run Heretic in higher resolution. According to the archived home page it should also run Hexen, but I did not figure out how to do that. Not sure if it runs demos either, and you are locked into full screen view with its custom alternative HUD only.

If you want to run Hexen in DOS in 640x480 resolution I suggest trying hack-of-a-port of my own. It supports 640x400 and 640x480 resolutions using the method @gerwin has used for MBF 2.4 (i.e. with horizontal "pillars" in 640x480 - and it actually uses code that @gerwin authored for that), supports demos, should be save game compatible and includes quality of life improvements, like free mlook with wider vertical range, going back to players's save game when dying as opposed to game's own autosave, more sound channels, additional savegame slots, simpler mouse interface for flying and such. You can get it here and source is available on moddb.

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)