VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tarebunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I just downloaded Pinball Fantasies and am unable to start the game. I have searched all over the internet but still have no idea what the error message means when i try to start the game.

Whenever I try to start the game by clicking on the "pinball" application file, a blank dos screen appears as well as a windows dialogue box which states the following, "C:\unzipped\pinfant\pinfant\PINBALL.EXE. Invalid startup directory, please check your pif file. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I tried to open it using the icon "Shortcut to MS-DOS Program", the same mesg appears.

I am using a Windows XP OS. Am not sure what other details are needed to help solve this problem. Can anyone pls pls help me? Thank you so much!

Reply 1 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do as windows suggests and check the .pif file properties. That weird directory structure seems suspicious. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 13, by tarebunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's precisely the problem. I am so lost when it comes to computer stuff. I have looked at the properties and tt's the only thing i was able to do, "look", cos i have no idea wat's wrong with it 🙁

Reply 3 of 13, by tarebunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm so sorry to ask this, but does anyone know where i can download pinball fantasies pc version (if there is one in the first place)? I have been searching all over the place and have downloaded a few versions, but they were all unable to play properly.

Reply 6 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have just tried several versions of PF and none of them worked, it's probably that you need to learn a little more about how ms-dos commands work. Do not get discouraged and keep asking. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 7 of 13, by tarebunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks 😀 I tried one version which worked, but it was very very slow and no sound. Guess i need to search around more for the answers. But wld still appreciate it if anyone who had the same problem as me cld offer some advice. Thank u in advance! 😀

Reply 8 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read the DOSBox Guides here on this forum. There is a specific thread on how speed up DOSBox for demanding games.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 9 of 13, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if someone would be willing to test something fairly random for me. Way back when my parents had a 286 and I had Pinball Dreams and Fantasies. They both ran remarkably well, but I found that if I started them up with Num Lock enabled, they were so slow as to be unplayable. So I'm simply curious, since I'm not in a position to test it right now myself, whether anyone can try this somehow and see if it's the case for them, too.

Told you it was random.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 10 of 13, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't got PF, only PD. Doesn't seem to be any difference whether numlock is enabled or not. Tried under DOSBox and VDMSound.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 11 of 13, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh well 😉

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 12 of 13, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got Pinball Dreams 2. It plays perfect under DosBox at 10,000 to 20,000 cycles. But you must temporarily lower the cycles to less than 3,000 during the intro and menu screens, then raise cycles again when the table appears on the screen. Otherwise it locks up.

Reply 13 of 13, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm running both PF and PD natively on the "retro" system in my sig, and they run fairly well (though too fast to detect the numlock thing I mentioned, hence why I asked others to check it for me). I had the same lock up issue as you with both of them using Dosbox.