VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 28, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another suggestion: replace DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO with DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO.

This would avoid loading IFSHLP.SYS automatically and save some memory unless you want to start Windows 98 as intended.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 23 of 28, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Disruptor wrote on 2023-08-01, 14:03:

Personally I prefer systems where I could do I=C800-F7FF

That would mean using a video card that has a smaller VBIOS ROM. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 25 of 28, by Kitty Trouble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If any of you are familiar with the hardware side of things, I need help with another problem - my floppy drive isn’t working and I’m not sure what the best way to transfer files off the computer without one.

Need help with floppy drive not working and/or alternatives. Also USB Support?

Reply 26 of 28, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is win98, so...

Suitable USB wifi dongle* + the trial version of odyssey client. +

+
Sorry, not providing links. Funk software's library is still copyrighted and still buyable. However, the trial version can still be found, and will work for 30 days. Universal WiFi chip manager, with WPA2 support. Does NOT need the server.

Sagem XG-760N
Sagem XG-760A
NetGear WG111v2
et al

Alternatively, a LapLink cable/null modem cable, and either ctty from dos, LapLink, or FastLynx.

More alternatively:

Install the USBSUP package, and enjoy the benefits of USB Mass storage support, and just use a USB thumb stick.

Reply 27 of 28, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-08-01, 12:36:

Another suggestion: replace DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO with DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO.

This would avoid loading IFSHLP.SYS automatically and save some memory unless you want to start Windows 98 as intended.

This is why for best results one should have a [MENU] section in config.sys, with one or more menu items for DOS (but Windows may not start), and one "good enough" (but no mouse and CD drivers) for Windows.

Reply 28 of 28, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suggestions:

- Your himem is taking more than 30Kb. Why? Keep DOS=HIGH,UMB remove AUTO
- Are you using a real hard drive or CF card? You don't need BUFFERS, set it to BUFFERS=1,0
- LASTDRIVE=Z do you need that many drive letters? Do LASTDRIVE=F
- Put I=B000-B7FF on your EMM386 line to use the monochrome memory area
- Stop using that VIDE CDD driver, use XDVD2 instead
- Why are you excluding CA00 up to DFFF?? Remove X=CA00-DFFF from the EMM386 line