VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by t2star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a dual 98/XP system based on an ASRock 4core-dual-sata2 mobo I had originally put together with the intention of playing around with my GeForce 256. I put a Creative Labs SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY PCI SB1394 card in based on the fact it had win98 support. When I try to run vanilla quake I get the Blaster environment variable error and have tried innumerable combinations of the set command in my autoexec file with no success. Sound otherwise works fine in Windows, WinQuake and GLQuake. I recently acquired a Rendition Verite 2200 card to experience VQuake, and unfortunately since it's based off DOS Quake, I'm getting the same environment variable problems and can't get sound working. I have no idea what to try next. Buying another sound card? Any insights or help are greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A PCI sound card is going to need some form of emulation software in order for a DOS program to access it as if it were an ISA sound card (cf. BLASTER variable). The Creative driver pack should include this, though it might not be included with the stock Windows 98 driver or the Windows-only drivers.

also: Your results may be quite different trying from plain DOS mode, vs. a DOS box running inside Win98. In the latter case the emulation may already be in place.

Reply 2 of 3, by t2star

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This sounds very promising. I'm perusing the drivers page for Sound Blaster, but I have no idea where to start. I would essentially need to find the correct emulation software, install it, and while it is running and I'm in 98, it will simply detect it as ISA? This is definitely out of my depth, so I really appreciate your help and time.

Reply 3 of 3, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think what jakethompson1 was saying was that if you find the correct set of drivers - which might be described as being for both DOS and Windows - that should include it, not that you're likely to find a separate DOS emulation driver. I would imagine that the DOS emulation driver would be installed automatically with the rest of the drivers.

I'm not sure if Creative have all their old drivers on their website, you might be best to check https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/