VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by toloma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my display is SiS 620, WinME, old machine pentium II celeron 333
the "you must load vesa.com", yesterday i downloaded the vesawrap.zip and it works. But something happen after playing a few hours, the screen goes black. I try turn off the monitor and on after a minutes the screen is back but it'll goes black soon.

I tried other dos game(after cool down and restart plus not to load that simple wrapper TSR to force all VESA SuperVGA VBE calls
(INT 10/AH=4F) to return zero in the high word of eax.
) its all fine but still turn black after some times. I alt-tab back to windows and close it then restart(windows screen just fine), now the screen before windows start (memory, drive checking etc) turn black too! I need to off-on my monitor to solve this.

I dont know what is the problem, maybe my monitor dying? (already 5 years old..) But this only happen when i using full screen dos prompt.
I cant find the vesawrap.zip creator.

My language not good, hope you understand what I write. Thx

Reply 1 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're running DOS VESA games from Windows then it's probably your Windows screensaver or some other Windows program trying to take control of your video card while it's in a VESA mode. This usually causes the type of problems you describe.

Reply 2 of 13, by toloma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But i disable the screen saver and i just found out, when I change screen resolution to 640 or 800 this happen to windows too. Also some little sound come out from monitor.....

Last edited by toloma on 2005-08-05, 22:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could be your monitor going bad, or maybe the video card is trying to use some refresh rate timings that are hard on the monitor..

Are you talking about changing resolutions in DOS or in Windows?

Reply 7 of 13, by toloma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry i didnt install full driver option. i installed it just now and try changing refresh rate to BIOS default, 60,70 or 75 does not work, only 85 the highest rate works (with 640 and 800 not work)
so..maybe my problem is the video card and monitor not compatiple on low resolution(anymore?)? What is the resolution of the PC start screen(whats that call?BIOS screen?)

Reply 8 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

85Hz is very high, especially if you have a 17" or smaller monitor.

Probably 70 or so. What monitor driver and what video card driver do you have installed? Make sure your monitor driver is at least Plug N Play and not "Default Monitor". If you can find one specifically for your monitor then that would be even better.

Your advanced video card driver options may allow you to override the refresh rate as well.

Reply 9 of 13, by toloma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

17" plug N play monitor with PnP Monitor driver(Microsoft).
Video card: Sis 620
Chip type: 620 rev 2A
DAC type: Internal
Memory: 8mb
Feature: DirectDraw 1.0
Software Ver: 4.0

These is the result of my refresh rate test with the 'Optimal' setting: (can / cannot)
1280x1024: 60Hz can but out of screen fit
1024x768: 70,75,85/ 60 sometimes can, screen out of fit
800x600: 85/ 56,60,72,75
640x480: 60,72,75,85 all cannot (Adapter Default also)
I see flicker on every each resolution

I'm curious how the windows setting will effect the "PC starting screen"? Maybe i should change the BIOS setting but i dont know how?

I've learn so much today, thousand thanks to you 😀 I'll try to find more suspicious point

Reply 10 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a good point. The startup screen's refresh rate is probably hard-wired (fixed), probably to 60 or 70Hz. If your monitor has on-screen controls then it might be able to tell you what refresh rate you're currently running at (look for a Hz value).

Also, you probably won't find any BIOS settings that control refresh rate. Usually the software (e.g. Windows) is in charge of telling the video card what refresh rate to use, and when Windows isn't in charge then it usually picks a default value (usually in the 56-72Hz range, depending on the resolution).

Do you know what brand and model your monitor is? You can usually find out by looking for a label on the back. It may also be helpful to know the year it was made (which may also appear on the back of the monitor)

Good luck!

Reply 11 of 13, by toloma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Monitor refresh rate H: 68.7Hz V: 85.2Hz (at 1024x768 16bit)
Brand: DMC (Made in Korea)
Model: IM767A
Manufacture Date: Apr 2001

The problem is getting serious, I should let it rest awile. Have a nice day:)

Reply 12 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what to say, except try to use the lowest refresh rate that you can for all modes and see if it helps.

You might also try installing the newest drivers for your video chip. I found these on SiS's web site: http://www.sis.com/download/agreement.php?id=38008

Reply 13 of 13, by toloma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its all fine these 2 days, I still dont know how those being fixed... anyhow thx for your help, I know which to focus if I meet theses problem. And the driver u gave me is same as my current one.