VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JthRedDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've completely read the other posts on this game, but haven't come across this problem yet. I downloaded the cd-rip from underdogs, unpacked it into a directory. Now whether I run it in the xp dos or dos box, which works great for most everything else, it gets through the video card loading part and then gives me a "discworld cd not detected" message. What do I do? Also, my computer can definitely handle it, and no I haven't fiddled with the dw2 batch files are anything like that yet. Besides, a little side problem is I can't quite follow that stuff anyway. I'm relatively new to the running of old school dos games, and I don't think this relates to that stuff anyway. If it all possilble too, I'd like to know the exact steps from the time I download it to the time I hopefully get it up and running in case I'm missing some major step. All the other games I've had success with were original copies, and not rips.

Reply 1 of 3, by JthRedDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok after reading more of the other posts I picked up some things. I have to try and use a cd extension thing right, or a cd emulator to get the game to detect the cd right? How do I do that? And if thats right, then assuming I won't have cd sounds or cutscenes like everyone else thats got the underdog version, what do I do about that?

Reply 2 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe it's poorly cracked. Try putting a CD in your CD drive if you're running in XP DOS. In DOSBox, try mounting a directory as a CD-ROM:

mount d c:\windows\temp -t cdrom

I'd also check to see if there's a readme included by whoever packaged it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Underdogs version doesn't have speech, as my demo of the game is much larger than the full CD-rip download on HotU. Hopefully someone will float around an ISO someday.