VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running into this rather odd issue with the Orpheus II card and this game. During installation, when I select Soundblaster II and MPU-401 with General MIDI, it seems to detect it and be fine with it. But when I run RLOFT from DOS, it gives me the voice / for the intro, but I don't get any music. If I then run the sound.bat or sinstall.exe and try to select the same thing I did in the install, it says it can't detect the MIDI.

There is also an error about "Native Mode is not supported by revisions of the Gravis Software less than 2.00". I've tried copying over the latest version of the AIL GUS 32 DLL files, but haven't had any luck getting this to work.

This is on top of the weird initialization issue of the Orpheus, where I'm getting the "Unable to reset Soundblaster DSP" error, until I run orphinit /v again.
Loadpats seems to work and loads in 83 patches in the 'RLOFT' directory.

The game is correctly detecting the IRQ 2 and 0x330 for the MPU, and IRQ 5 0x220, with DMA 1 for the sound.

Specs are:
Pentium 233 MMX w/ 64mb of ram.
Biostar 8500TTD (swapped from an Asus SP97-V to get more control over the IRQs)
Matrox Millennium II
Canopus Pure3D Voodoo 1
100mbit NIC
Oprheus II
And Logitech Cyberman (for the 3d movement support).

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hey leech
do you actually have any midi device connected ? an external one or a wavetable daughterboard?
if none exist then you won't get any midi music since there is nothing to produce it
btw, the versions of the game that I have do not support any flavor of Gravis, what version are you using?

about the "Unable to reset Soundblaster DSP" issue it has been brought up in the past in a couple of cases:
- PnP BIOS did not really allow to allocate the desired resources to the Crystal chip , the solution was to allocate resources manually to ISA and flip the "PnP enabled" on or off
- for the ASUS PVI-486SP3 it was needed to run first ULTRASND.BAT and then ORPHEUS.BAT , doing it the opposite would result in the reset message

maybe one of the above applies in your board too? if not a detailed log/description posted in the Orphinit thread would work better in pinpointing why this happens

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by leech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I have the X2GS wavetable connected to the Orpheus II.
The game itself should be using the 32 AIL drivers, which are included in the game.
From the Gravis Ultrasound list; http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/documen … ation/GLIST.TXT

RavenLoft SSI 32-bit AIL RavenLoft 2 : Stone Prophet SSI 32-bit AIL (The […]
Show full quote

RavenLoft SSI 32-bit AIL
RavenLoft 2 : Stone Prophet SSI 32-bit AIL
(The AIL drivers are included. Just use the normal
"copy over drivers" method to use them)

I have set the BIOS to what it shows in the screenshot on the website. (Literally bought a different motherboard because it didn't have all the options available to do so).
I just attempted to flip the order of ULTRASND.BAT and OPRHEUS.BAT, the results were that it couldn't find the UltraSound card. If I run Oprheus.bat, ultrasnd.bat, then orphinit.exe afterward, it says the board is successfully set up...
Though to be fair, without this, the native support for GUS in Descent works flawlessly.

I think for Ravenloft, specifically, for some reason it seems to not be detecting that ULTRADIR = C:\ULTRASND, as the rloft.bat script looks something like this;

rem Detect card
IF "%ULTRADIR%"=="" goto NO_GRAVIS
GOTO GUS_LOAD

:GUS_LOAD
rem If loadpats fails it means that the user has an old revision of the Gravis software and will need to contact Gravis for an update to make this work..

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO OLD_REVISION

goto RUN_GRAVIS

:OLD_REVISION

rem Set the environmental var to NULL so the sound installer will not "detect" the Gravis

set ULTRASND=

echo "Gravis Native Mode Installation Error"
echo "ERROR: Native Mode is not Supported by Revisions of the Gravis Software Less Then 2.00"
echo "Address to order a disk"
pause
GOTO NO_GRAVIS

:RUN_GRAVIS
cls
r.exe
goto END

:NO_GRAVIS
cls
r.exe
goto END

:END

I've tried, from the rloft directory, to run loadpats, and it seems to load the patches up just fine, so not entirely sure why it's failing there. I think I just burned an ISO from archive.org or something, though I do have the game on both Steam and GOG.

Reply 3 of 6, by leech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure how to collect a log for orphinit. Doing 'orphinit /vd > orphinit.log' as I saw elsewhere doesn't show the initial issue, as the second time I run it after ultrasnd, it says it has reset the soundblaster dsp successfully.

I tried changing the params section of the batch script to /vd > C:\ORPHEUS2\ORPHINIT.LOG, which created an empty file. Not sure how to get that initial log to appear.

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will have to check that Ravenloft thing but it seems to me that all this info (and FAQ) are meant for the original Ultrasound that used the GF1 chip and not the Ultrasound PnP that uses the Interwave chip.
I do not know if suitable Ravenloft AIL drivers exist for the InterWave chip, I have mirrored the AMD downloads page here: http://pcmidi.eu/files/orpheus2/AMDweb.html#FadetoBlack but these AIL drivers seem to be for a newer version of the soundsystem than the one used by Ravenloft.
Maybe in the meantime someone else knows more about it.

Now on the init issue, something weird is going on. It seems that the 1st card to get initialized is not done successfully.
You can try and flip "PnP OS installed: YES" and/or "Reset Configuration Data: Enabled" and see if that makes any difference.
Dumping screen output on dos would work like this: ORPHEUS.BAT /V >OUTPUT.TXT , notice there is no space after the > symbol.
Since you state though that ULTRASND.BAT also fails in the 1st run then it would be safe to assume that ORPHINIT is not to blame .
Try the BIOS options above and see if any helped, I am hopeful a combo would work. Also having the latest BIOS of the mobo could be a good idea.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by leech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I had tried to force the ESCD update with Reset Configuration Data:Enabled before, but hadn't tried playing with the PnP OS Installed: Yes. I turned it on, and now it's initializing correctly.

When I was looking at the GUS DLLs earlier, it seems the GUSDIG32.DLL was the same version as a newer one I found on Archive.org. But the GUSMID32.DLL was different. I'll see if I can get another game that supports the AIL 32 working.

By the way, I do have Fade2Black (from my original old CD even) and it works perfectly well with the Orpheus2.

Last edited by leech on 2023-10-16, 04:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, good to see the init issues are gone... I will add this bit of info at the site as well, it seems these 2 settings depend on mobo...