Common searches

System Shock and Memory

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mok Origin's memory manager - JEMM - requires VCPI so these titles aren't fixable without major changes.

Ok, so VCPI titles are still a dead end. So apparently "System Shock"s problem was NOT VCPI, but just "sloppy programming"?

...and Dungeon Master 2... This game does not need VCPI but won't work anyway

Hrmm...*edits VCPI list...again*

- it's really badly written. There are several problems:...If I'll find some free time I will maybe try to fix it.

I wouldn't bother...there are other titles out there that DOS only (no ports/conversions) and "Dungeon Master II" had multiple ports: PC, Mac, SegaCD, and the original Amiga version (and I know the Amiga version will run under UAE).

Reply 81 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Manually telling the game to use DOS/4GW sussed the problem nicely. 😀 Now, to bitch about the game. Ugh! Clunky controls! How did they ever expect any kind of ACTION in this game? Good god, it moves slowly, the story is too reminiscent of the second game (well, yeah, okay, so it is the second game's fault, but still), I dunno if I have the attention span to sit and try to use those controls to do stuff. Not being able to use the mouse to navigate without holding down the LMB is suck, and even then it doesn't work well at all. I guess I'm just not old enough to appreciate how things used to be.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 82 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Ugh! Clunky controls! How did they ever expect any kind of ACTION in this game?

It's not an ACTION game, what are you comparing it to? DOOM? This was 94, remember? It's supposed to be more like an interactive 3D adventure with some action elements The interface while "clunky" is still better than in "Cyclones" (think they out-smarted themselves with that auto-mouse directional control). I have to give them credit for trying to come up with a way to pose yourself in numerous possible body positions (Lean Left/Right, Crouch & Lean Left/Right, crawl and Lean Left/Right) Although leaning while crawling probably wasn't necessary.

the story is too reminiscent of the second game

Yeah. Much like how the first" Star Wars" stole it's ending from "Return of the Jedi".

well, yeah, okay, so it is the second game's fault, but still

Nope. No "but"s about it...you screwed up by playing the second one first. That's why there are many titles that I simply won't play, because I know I need to play the predecessors to avoid this kind of thing.

I guess I'm just not old enough to appreciate how things used to be.

I guess you have guessed correctly.

Reply 83 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there wasn't that action aspect I wouldn't really see that much of a problem, except for the fact that there is no mouse look, which bites. I liked how the second had a toggle between interface mouse mode and mouse look mode.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 84 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover If there wasn't that action aspect I wouldn't really see that much of a problem, except for the fact that there is no mouse look, which bites.

*shrug* I would like for redefinable keys, but unless the Looking Glass people kept all the rights (and the source code), we won't see that being fixed. Probably sitting on an ancient hard drive tossed in a storage box at a warehouse owned by Origin...never to see the light of day again.

I liked how the second had a toggle between interface mouse mode and mouse look mode.

5 Years of technology advancement certainly helped. Were there any "real" mouselook titles before Quake? (Not counting sim-like titles like Descent)

Reply 85 of 90, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Comparing SS1 to SS2 is kinda absurd, but I'm going to do it too. There are several advantages in SS1 over SS2. I separed my statements so you can more easily try to disprove them. Good luck.

1. The movement system, different to todays 3D games is actually more realistic in the way it works. You can look there, and shoot elsewhere. It actually makes it easier to move back while giving those hordes of mutants the darts they deserve. For me it creates better immersion to the game.

2. Cyberspace, it was completely left out from SS2.

3. Puzzles/Hacking. SS2 doesn't have any puzzles like SS1 whatsoever. It has the stupid system that is based on clicking the screen and hoping you get lucky and have high enough skill points.

4. One can choose his/her poison. If you don't want to bother with thinking you choose the easiest in puzzles difficulty level. If you don't like action you choose the easiest in there. Also there are difficulty levels for the story and cyberspace!

Don't get me wrong, I like the both games, but I just can't stand reading that SS1 is bad because it's story is too similar to SS2 😉

Reply 88 of 90, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't receive any errors about the COM ports on either my Windows 98SE box running the original EXE or on my Windows 2000SP3 box running the modified EXE. Check to make sure you've got checking for notebook gameports off.

Here are some interesting twists.
(These are all on my Win98SE box with the original EXE)
The game will NOT run in pure DOS. This could be the crappy Maestro DOS drivers, since I use VDMSound in Windows.
The game locks up the computer hard in Level 1 cyberspace when going through the first tunnel with music enabled.
Sometimes the game just decides to lock up my system for no reason.

Tell you what though, this is an incredible engine.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 89 of 90, by pdenninger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was trying to be a good boy and bought a System Shock 1 Cd off of Ebay in order to play it. I'm glad that people have been able to get it to work under XP, but I haven't seen any post about how to install the darn thing. When I run the install, it gets an "Installation Failed. Install Info Error. file=: wrong number of params".

So how did you guys get it to install on 2000 from the cd?

Reply 90 of 90, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by pdenninger I'm glad that people have been able to get it to work under XP, but I haven't seen any post about how to install the darn thing. When I run the install, it gets an "Installation Failed. Install Info Error. file=: wrong number of params".

So how did you guys get it to install on 2000 from the cd?

*shrug* I ran ORIGIN.BAT. It installed fine. Are you running the original or a re-release? Is the CD in good shape?