VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just in case anyone is interested:

My "retirement" project:

I am publishing some 40+ years worth of source code to "stuff I've written".

This includes my DDS products, lots of "internal tools and utilities" and
other misc. "stuff".

Most of it is C (mainly for my own compiler - one of the items), some in
assembly, and a few "custom languages".

Available from my personal site:

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com

or go to: "Daves Old Computers" -> "Personal"

Reply 1 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome, that's amazingly good of you Dave, thank you indeed. Looks like I am going to have to bookmark that for when 6809 or 8031/51 tinkering bug strikes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 14, by mogwaay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many thanks, that's really good of you. IMD is an amazing tool so it's great to know that the source is there should anyone need to fix bugs or add features or support for other platforms. I wonder about adding support for PIO mode so it could support DMAless systems like the PCjr or Tandy 1000? Anyway thanks again, very cool projects in there, need to have a proper look!

Reply 4 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mogwaay wrote on 2023-10-29, 08:42:

IMD is an amazing tool so it's great to know that the source is there should anyone need to fix bugs or add features or support for other platforms. I wonder about adding support for PIO mode so it could support DMAless systems like the PCjr or Tandy 1000? Anyway thanks again, very cool projects in there, need to have a proper look!

FWIW, The IMD source has been available since almost Day1 - the whole Idea of IMD is to preserve and be able to recover "old" diskettes,
and for that reason the .IMD format is well documented, and I did provide the source code. This is all available in "Daves Old Computers"
under "Disks/Software images"

As far as I was able to determine, IMD can do pretty much anything the PC s NEC-765 floppy controller can read/write.
I didn't ever do special versions for PcJR or Tandy1000 simply because I didn't have one (Might have at one point in the collection, but
never ported my tools etc. to do serious work on them).

Dave Dunfield ::: https://dunfield.themindfactory.com
or: "Daves Old Computers" -> Personal (near bottom)

Reply 5 of 14, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveDDS wrote on 2023-11-01, 14:02:
FWIW, The IMD source has been available since almost Day1 - the whole Idea of IMD is to preserve and be able to recover "old" di […]
Show full quote
mogwaay wrote on 2023-10-29, 08:42:

IMD is an amazing tool so it's great to know that the source is there should anyone need to fix bugs or add features or support for other platforms. I wonder about adding support for PIO mode so it could support DMAless systems like the PCjr or Tandy 1000? Anyway thanks again, very cool projects in there, need to have a proper look!

FWIW, The IMD source has been available since almost Day1 - the whole Idea of IMD is to preserve and be able to recover "old" diskettes,
and for that reason the .IMD format is well documented, and I did provide the source code. This is all available in "Daves Old Computers"
under "Disks/Software images"

As far as I was able to determine, IMD can do pretty much anything the PC s NEC-765 floppy controller can read/write.
I didn't ever do special versions for PcJR or Tandy1000 simply because I didn't have one (Might have at one point in the collection, but
never ported my tools etc. to do serious work on them).

this is cool i hope to see this added to dosbox for better emulation of old games from the 80s

iami

Reply 6 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
twiz11 wrote on 2023-11-02, 19:54:

this is cool i hope to see this added to dosbox for better emulation of old games from the 80s

I doubt it could be built in to DosBox without a lot of changes (to DosBox) - IMD accesses the floppy controller directly and in some very non-standard
ways - this is why it pretty much only runs under DOS - DosBox runs under another OS (my experience is mostly with the Winblows version, which won't
allow an application direct access to the floppy hardware (and interrupts) without loads of special permissions and drivers - my guess - I've never really
tried/looked into it that much .. but seems how Win works with most system hardware).

On the plus side, I did publish a DOS bootable floppy image (which you could make into a bootable CD) allowing you to run IMD on most any system
having bootable removable media (and since it works with floppy drives - you would likely have at least that 😀

That boot floppy creates a RamDisk big enough to hold images, and includes DDLINK a simple tool to transfer files to
other systems via Lan, Serial or Parallel - DDLINK runs well under DosBox which gives a way to easily move images to/from
more modern OS's. - So to read/write disk without a DOS system:

Connect one system to another (Serial or LAN)
Run DosBox on one system.. start DDLINK as a server.
Boot IMD on the other system
Use DDLINK to get images to write
run IMD to read/write
use DDLINK to put images read

And FWIW - IMD isn't needed to RUN games - just to read/write old diskettes to/from .IMD files
DosBox could support MOUNTing .IMDs
but .. IMDU can convert a .IMD to a pure binary/raw disk image, which DosBox CAN mount.
Only potential problem I see with that approach is that the binary image won't have format data
which may be used in a copy protect scheme - Support for .IMD could help, but the better ways
of diskette copy protection often rely on intentional errors which IMD may not be able to record
and represent well enough for it to work.

Reply 7 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ringding wrote on 2023-10-29, 08:53:

I had a look at your compilers and related tooling a few weeks ago and was quite impressed by it because it is very simple and concise, yet powerful.

Thanks. Do check back from time to time as I am continuing to add more material, and often tweak/add-to (mostly notes/additional documentation) to the material I have already posted.

Reply 8 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-29, 01:48:

Awesome, that's amazingly good of you Dave, thank you indeed. Looks like I am going to have to bookmark that for when 6809 or 8031/51 tinkering bug strikes.

Thanks. Good to hear about other 6809/8051 fans - the 09 is probably my favorite 8bitter from a software perspective (It's the first I wrote my compiler for), and the 51 is one of my fav early ones for hardware (single chip - not much else needed) - now-a-days that honor prob falls to things like the STM32, but I did LOTS of 8051/32 projects in the past!

Reply 9 of 14, by eM-!3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks DaveDDS for sharing it for free with us. I like how your tools are very small in size, yet compatible and fully capable of doing their job. "More" &"XCopy" are a great example and good additions to my own FrankenDOS, no reason to stick with MS DOS, FreeDOS bloated versions. I was using "Timeit" already. "Sync" is a gem which allows to mirror directories in pure DOS just like robocopy/rsync. Micro-C compiler is another one I will keep but learning asm and K&R C language is beyond my limited dev skills and if I had to write something minimal I would probably choose SmallerC instead.

Reply 10 of 14, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DaveDDS wrote on 2023-11-23, 04:34:
Thanks. Good to hear about other 6809/8051 fans - the 09 is probably my favorite 8bitter from a software perspective (It's the […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-29, 01:48:

Thanks. Good to hear about other 6809/8051 fans - the 09 is probably my favorite 8bitter from a software perspective (It's the first I wrote my compiler for), and the 51 is one of my fav early ones for hardware (single chip - not much else needed) - now-a-days that honor prob falls to things like the STM32, but I did LOTS of 8051/32 projects in the past!

eh archive it and fling it into the future i would say maybe its useful for companies still using dos or older technology

iami

Reply 11 of 14, by anton23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DaveDDS wrote on 2023-10-28, 22:40:
Just in case anyone is interested: […]
Show full quote

My "retirement" project:

This includes my DDS products, lots of "internal tools and utilities" and
other misc. "stuff".

Most of it is C (mainly for my own compiler - one of the items), some in
assembly, and a few "custom languages".

Available from my personal site:

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com

or go to: "Daves Old Computers" -> "Personal"

Great! I had reached your website months ago by searching for floppy disk stuff

Would you mind if somebody put this on github ?

Reply 12 of 14, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think twiz was referring to IMD file format support as a disk image in DOSBox, which I too, agree should have been added already. Most of my disk image archive is IMD because I like using the comment field to add information for each disk (all text on the sticker basically).

Kodus to the awesome tool, and thanks for sharing even more of your source code.

I'm still trying to figure out how can IMGDisk archive copy-protected disks. When reading a copy-protection track it retries a few times then marks it as an error and moves on. I guess only certain copy-protection schemes can work? I mostly archive my old Sierra game disks.

Reply 13 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wbahnassi wrote on 2023-12-20, 03:25:

I think twiz was referring to IMD file format support as a disk image in DOSBox, which I too, agree should have been added already. Most of my disk image archive is IMD because I like using the comment field to add information for each disk (all text on the sticker basically).

Kodus to the awesome tool, and thanks for sharing even more of your source code.

I'm still trying to figure out how can IMGDisk archive copy-protected disks. When reading a copy-protection track it retries a few times then marks it as an error and moves on. I guess only certain copy-protection schemes can work? I mostly archive my old Sierra game disks.

Having .IMD supported in DosBox would be great, but it hasn't been much trouble for me .... I tend to have a 1G RamDisk which is a great place
to put temporary files - if I want to boot/access a .IMD floppy image in DosBox, I just use IMDU to convert it to a pure raw binary image which
DosBox can IMGMOUNT!

IMD is limited in what the PC floppy controller (originally a NEC 765) can do - some copy protection schemes use "writable" things like odd-
sector layouts etc .. which IMD can do - but some CP schemes use "intentional" errors - which can't be recreated without special hardware
(or at least a more low-level capable controller)

Dave

Reply 14 of 14, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
anton23 wrote on 2023-12-19, 13:04:
DaveDDS wrote on 2023-10-28, 22:40:
Just in case anyone is interested: […]
Show full quote

My "retirement" project:

Would you mind if somebody put this on github ?

My only concern is that information tends to get "lost" with such things. I do have some documents describing what it is,
and also that it's being added-to/improved almost daily... I really want people who make use of it to know where it came from
and to "check back" from time to time see additions/improvements.

My preference would if it could be linked to...

But that is only "my concern" I've not tried to restrict what other people do with it (It would be nice to have some sort of acknowledgement,
and that it be used in a "reasonable" way (not to create malware etc. - I do specifically say that I won't take responsibility for anything someone
else does with it!)

Dave