VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by foul_owl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a retro gaming system set up, Pentium II 266, 128 mb ram, geforce 2, sd card to ide, freedos.

However, after trying Duke3d, it seems like something is wrong. I'm getting a good framerate, anywhere from 80-150 fps depending on what's on screen, but the game feels sluggish. Input feels delayed, and the game will freeze for a few frames at a time, maybe once every 10 seconds. This is both with sound enabled and disabled.

I then did an install of windows 98 and got half life working great at 640x480, directx, totally smooth, no freezes or input lag. (I realize this is a hardware accelerated game, this is just a simple test to prove to myself that smooth gaming of any type on this system is possible)

So then I installed Duke3d in windows. When running it in windows, I get about 100 fps and the gameplay feels very smooth, no input lag or freezes. In dos mode, the fps is even higher, around 150, but there is still input lag, although probably not as bad as in free dos.

What's going on here? How do I get duke3d to play smoothly in freedos?

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Duke3D behaves badly with FAT32 in pure DOS so you'll either want to play it under Win9x, or load Smartdrv while in DOS. The hitching's from uncached disk access. Duke3D was made prior to FAT32's creation and works fine as-is on FAT16.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 6, by foul_owl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm...ok I copied smartdrv.exe from my windows install over to my freedos install and invoke with just: smartdrv.exe, but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

What sort of parameters should I be using here?

Thank you!

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FreeDOS comes with LBACACHE which does the job for HDD caching and can be added in AUTOEXEC.BAT. By default, it uses 2 MB of buffer size, but it can be changed thru parameters.

That utility can be used in MS-DOS too.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 6, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What motherboard are you using? Does it have a BX440 (or similar from Intel)? Or is it something with a VIA chipset?
I had a lot of problems with ALL slot 1 motherboards that were not Intel bases, sudden hard freezes or reboots, data corruption on hard drives, PCI cards not detected, etc, etc, etc.