VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by system

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to run SS1 on a genuine MS-DOS 6.22 (not a dos box in Win). Everything went fine except, when in the setup program, I couldn't get the sound to work no matter what options I selected (SB, SB16, SB Pro etc). It gave the message: sound card not detected. It's true that I don't have a SB card, but I have run many other games in DOS already, with sound, by selecting one of the SB options in their setups, and the sound worked!
What can I do?
Since I didn't run the game in Win, it's not relevant what my specs are.
(MS-DOS6.22+Win2k-dualboot, 1Ghz, SiS635 motherboard, sound onboard).

Reply 2 of 3, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many onboard soundchips emulate a SoundBlaster Pro in hardware, so the problem might only be a little configuration issue (especially if other games work with SB settings).

Maybe the sound setup program doesn't work because of an unset BLASTER environment. To check on this, just type "set" on the command prompt and look if there is a line that begins with "BLASTER". If there is no such line, try the command

set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

then execute the sound setup program and select "SoundBlaster Pro" with address 220, interrupt 5 and dma 1 for the digital sound, and AdLib for the music.

Reply 3 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course, the BLASTER variable has to be set to whatever settings the on-board sound is emulating. Usually if you load a TSR DOS driver or setup program for DOS support on your on-board sound it will set up the BLASTER variable for you, but it's important to check.