VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dragues

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've tried playing powerslave, the grest DOS game, but I can't play it with sound if I run it normally, I've tried VDMSound, but it always crashes before starting the game.

Do you know how can I make it to work perfectly? Thanx a lot.

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to HOTU, this is a Win95/98 game, so you should try enabling some "compatibility modes" under Win2000/XP. You didn't mention what Operating System are you using.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try right-clicking on the game's executable and choose a w95 or w98 compatibility mode.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 7, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't actually have Powerslave but with most other Build engine games usually the first thing you'll need is NOLFB. You can get that here http://advsys.net/ken/build.htm

Put NOLFB.COM in the game's directory then open the game's .cfg file and set screenmode=2 or use the setup program to select VESA 2.0.

For VDMSound to work, make sure you setup the sound to use blaster address=220, DMA=1 and IRQ=7.

You might want to just make a batch file to launch the game - should look something like this

@echo off
nolfb.com
dosdrv
pause
(game's .exe name here)

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just had a go at it and although I got it working initially, the game crashes as soon as I round the first corner. Tried all the usual tricks like memory dropdowns, w95 mode, fullscreen etc. but still no luck. Sorry it's not working properly in XP here either. 🙁

Reply 7 of 7, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nah didn't have much luck in DOSBox(0.63) either. I think my CPU is too slow though - it maxed out around 12k cycles. Game speed is still pretty slow then it just crashes on the main menu. Might work on a faster pc heh.

There is a win95 exe but the rendering is pretty messed up. Tried turning off directdraw - didn't help any.

Chained/buffered crashes either way it seems. Good suggestion though.

I'll let ya know if I have any breakthroughs.