VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fraznium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! A few days ago I finished a patch for Dark Legions that increases animation speeds on the strategic board, and it was suggested I post it here - hopefully this is okay 😀

While combat is quite smooth, the "chessboard" movement in Dark Legions has always seemed unusually slow. One can work around this by skipping animations or playing on the overhead map, but it's hard to observe enemy turns this way - plus you miss out on all those nice visuals. After a little reverse engineering, I discovered that every animation function takes in a variable to limit frame rate, and on the strategic board, this is almost always set to a very slow value. Patching it to a faster value doesn't seem to have any negative effects (I've tested multiple hours now on both on my P166 and in DOSBox) and the results are very satisfying.

Edit: I've been informed posting modified game binaries may be against the forum rules, so I have quickly put together a binary patch with bsdiff (https://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/) This will only work on the 1.1 floppy version. There are two variants of the patch: dlpatch makes unit movement faster and smooths animations, while dlpatchf adds even more extra speed to unit movements for efficiency-minded players.

I consider this experimental and unfinished (burning animations are still at their original speed, as they use a more complex set of functions). I'd be happy to share my disassembly notes if anyone wants to work on this further.

Attachments

• Filename
    dlpatchf.patch
    File size
    97.84 KiB
    Downloads
    13 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    dlpatch.patch
    File size
    97.95 KiB
    Downloads
    9 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by fraznium on 2024-02-21, 22:15. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hiya! Just a heads up, these forums' mods have a serious stick up their butts wrt copyright enforcement, so posting the patched binaries might tickle them the wrong way. Or not. You never know with them. To be on the safe side, maybe replace them with something that doesn't contain the entirety of the original code, like ips patches, or even just simple hex diffs.

Reply 2 of 2, by fraznium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-02-21, 09:34:

Hiya! Just a heads up, these forums' mods have a serious stick up their butts wrt copyright enforcement, so posting the patched binaries might tickle them the wrong way. Or not. You never know with them. To be on the safe side, maybe replace them with something that doesn't contain the entirety of the original code, like ips patches, or even just simple hex diffs.

Thank you, I appreciate you letting me know! I wouldn't want to cause any trouble - I'll take down the binaries and when I get a moment, update the post with a less contentious patch method instead. 😀